Pennsylvania provisions sheet wide load

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nikmirbre, Aug 21, 2017.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I have to pull a wide load thru PA on I-81 to I78 .

The M938(I think it is called) provision sheet tell me about a morning restriction in the Harrisburg area. However I-81 going through Harrisburg area IS NOT lit up( IF you have the provisions and you look at it, you know what Im talking about)

I planned on getting up in the morning in Mechanicsburg and heading into NJ as soon as curfew is up. (Yes I've got the separate permit to cross the bridge into NJ)

My question is am I correct in assuming that I can run on I-81 without a curfew in the morning?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

That's what i just did today and no issues. That map was confusing so i called my permit department and asked them, they told me i was fine to travel through but do not exit 81 in those urban areas for any reason during curfew.

Lepton1 and rank Thank this.
  4. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

Thank God!! I seen you had an Oversize up that way...... Thank you!!

5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

This is confusing as ####. I-81 looks clear. Screenshot_20170821-193653.png
    But then PA puts this statement at the top. This is confusing.

Screenshot_20170821-194109.png

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    No problem man. Just keep in mind I'm only relating what my office girl told me. I do not offer any warranty on the accuracy of the info.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Even if they have specialized people doing permits only. They don't always know what's up.
    That's a LOT of rules to try to retain for any given city in any given state.

8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I agree. However considering how many trucks we have, its highly unlikely that they have been telling all of us wrong and no one has gotten busted.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Didn't say ALL. But it IS likely to happen. And HAS happened.

I worked for a company that had 350 trucks and 4 people in the permits department. Some of the trucks were heavy haulers. The rest got an occasional oversized.

Not only are there differences between city and states. But also the size of teh load. The weight of the load. And then add the ever loving construction that may or may not be there.

I once got an offer to haul a heavyweight. Standard 5 axle aluminum spread. empty was 30k. The load was 66k. Total weight was 96K. Put 40 on the trailer. Leaving 56k for the truck. Minus 11k for the steers left 45K for the drives. The 5th wheel was fixed position. No sliding.

Now, i only know of hauling heavy with legal weights for the axles. You guys talk about 20k per axle. So the trailer would have been fine. Or not. Either way. i didn't see any way i could haul that load cross country. The trailer would have been heavy. The drives would have been heavy. And weren't rated for anything above 18 per axle.

Max legal overweight for that standard 5 axle bridge is 84. Even though the axles could actually max out at 86.

The office said i could haul it. I didn't see anyway i could. If you guys could haul it. I'd like to know how.
    I haul 97 over and over now. But i have the axles to do it also.

BTW. Some one came in teh office the next morning that knew what was going on. And had one of their heavy haulers take the load.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

I think you misunderstood what i was saying. In this case with the Pennsylvania urban area curfews I'm accepting their word. Not because i have total faith in the office crew. But because i figure if they were wrong, the chances are very high another driver would have already been popped and then the correct info would be given out. Combine that with the map that shows 81 not shaded... it all leads to the high percentage chance that in this specific case, they are correct. Either way, i made it through and didn't get pulled over so its a nul point.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I interpret the map the same as you..... That is, I-81 does not have a curfew. I've been doing it that way for 10 years. I'm either right or very lucky.

Regarding the statement at the top, I interpret that to mean route 39, which borders the urbanized area, does have a curfew.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.