Penske Truck sales

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by trucko, May 22, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    All used trucks require some luck. And I still believe my theory on "Don't beat the truck, and the truck won't beat you."

Maintenance is HUGE. Correcting small problems before they become big ones.

The kid that does a lot of work on my truck, forgot the fuel water separator filter last time.
    I PM every 20K. Well I'm 2 days from home, and my next PM, and it just went bad.
    $200 for it & fuel filter installed. He put them on so tight, I couldn't even budge them.
    The kid has saved me probably $2K over the last year.
    So. How mad can I really get at him?

There's always something to be done in this game, and the key is when you're F tired, to man up, and get stuff fixed while it's small.

BoxCarKidd and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Had my Cummins powered cascadia (2013) dpf and system cleaned was 1945.00 out the door with new filter ...didn't run it until it started throwing codes tho .

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I think that's the best choice Brad. They try and clean the Cummins filter, and it just doesn't take. Then you're in a fight, and the truck is down again.

Money well spent, I'll do the same when my time comes.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Mine was falling apart and not even throwing codes ...it just started doing more passive regens and the fuel mileage was down ...had 270k since the last service so it was due .

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Youngtrucker91

Youngtrucker91 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks Dave for your response been looking at a cascadia 12 dd15 284000 for 40xxxx

7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    DD15's are a mean game. The one company I know, has 40 DD15's. They have lost 4 do to spun main bearings, because th ed oil pick up tube is plastic, and falls off.
    One of these trucks was my old one. And it was a really nice truck. Happens at about 600K.
    The other thing is the one box. That's like $6K. You'll need one of those at about 500K or do.
    You can get one like I have now with all new rubber at Freightliner of Arizona. They asking $49K, but you will drive it away for $42K. APU too.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. Youngtrucker91

Youngtrucker91 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Nice I'm going to stop buy tomorrow and check it out you got anymore details on that truck your talking about

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    They are 12 & 13 Cascadia's. Old GTI trucks. They have 2 or 3. Ask for Javier. Less than 400K miles. Cummins 450HP.
    Comes with 1 year warranty, you can upgrade to 2 years, 200K. All new rubber is worth almost $5K if you or I bought it. I know two other guys that have them. Small problems so far, one dude got a clutch done.

I've done alignment, new steers, new front shocks on mine. Added Centramatics.
    If I'd done the alignment sooner, might have saved my steers.
    If you get it, have the lug nuts re-torqued, one of my steers was falling off, the whole wheel not just a nut, get a complete lube, and if it needs an alignment, get it done. Get a few cans of liquid wrench. They have an air release 5th wheel that is sticky until it gets loosened up. And spray that big adjustment nut in the front, and the linkage underneath when you change trailers and you'll have no hassle.

They have a 242" WB, so they are longer than most Cascadia's and ride nice. Those dudes at GTI were mad scientists on how to spec a truck. Don't get one that has the white stripes, that's a Heartland truck, that will be a POS.

10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Oh fixed the fuel line and had a belt done on the APU as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.