People Are Outraged About the Emergency Food Packages Being Sent to Puerto Ricans

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It’s been nearly two months since Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, leaving the ravaged island with minimum resources, limited forms of communication, and 80% of the U.S. territory without electricity. As big-name celebrities and companies like Google continue to ramp up relief efforts to help the beleaguered land, one company’s attempts to help fell flat.
    Longbranch Partners, LLC incurred the wrath of Puerto Ricans and supporters when victims began sharing photos of the food aid packages the government contractor was sending to locals. The boxes of food sent included packages of unhealthy and insubstantial snacks such as Cheez-Its, BabyRuths, Air Nerds, and canned meat. “This is unacceptable and no doubt they got paid good money for these ‘care packages.’ Nope, not today LongBranch, not today,” one person tweeted. Another wrote: “I didn’t even know airheads were still around. Really, who the hell can feed a family with that?”
    The FEMA "meals" my brother received today... #HuracánMaría pic.twitter.com/X7eXcFmDD9
    — Sujei =) (@sujeilugo) November 10, 2017
    The same in Camino Nuevo, Yabucoa, last October 13. pic.twitter.com/MEHEzMdtRN
    — Jorge Figueroa Loza (@jorgefloza) November 13, 2017
    After 4 weeks of no food or water in aid my family in Cabo Rojo received 2 cans of beefaroni & crackers! I wrote about it on Facebook and a volunteer vet from a relief team apologized & posted this pic and said he felt bad giving care packages like this out. pic.twitter.com/JlJqVgN87a
    — Carla Ramos (@Lucysbabygirl) November 13, 2017
    When the photos of the care packages started circulating online, many blamed FEMA. But the agency defended itself, telling news outlets that the food was not meant to be a full meal: “‘Meal module’ is Longbranch’s terminology, not FEMA’s” they said, adding that the agency canceled future orders and was only involved in distributing the fare. (Many Twitter users shared images of Longbranch’s label on the boxes, helping to clarify that the government contractors were responsible for assortment of snacks sent, not FEMA.)
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “How can people pass this off as nutritious?”" data-reactid="21">Pedro Lugo, who tweeted a popular image of the food box that garnered 12,000 retweets, asked local newspaper The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “How can people pass this off for a balanced meal?"
    Foods are supposed to be “culturally appropriate” for Puerto Rico and include utensils.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Americans are turning in to a bunch of whiners and crybabies. Those are snacks, not meals. Idiots can't even read a lable. They're not FEMA meals; just extra snacks; the FEMA meals are seperate.
    "Oh, help me! Some guy looked at me the other day, so I'm sure he wants to rape me. Help, someone call a lawyer ASAP!"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    dngrous_dime, tinytim and bzinger Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    No comment. I will leave it at that, or I will be banned.

5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    In Utah, most people don't need FEMA.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yep ...those into that are only out for a buck and the limelite and the press eats it up like the ###### they are .
    Non issue to me and party on tramps .

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I examined the "Meals"

Those are not humanitarian rations that support life. Those are snacks. Therefore those are not "Meals" with sufficient value to support life.

I would imagine the United States must have MRE style Rations to a certain degree warehoused all over the USA for war purposes and also under a certain amount of budgetary spending. You would think that 3 millions of those should go out each day to provide one meal to a person.

What I don't know or have access to is information on what is here in the United States tonight as far as rations of that kind. Or what is stored in the Plains elevators in terms of grains, corn etc. We fill trains with that in about a day. And there is usually enough in sileage ready to go at a time when prices rise to sell. Ships are eventually filled and sent overseas.

I don't know how many ships we can call up to assemble enough real food to ship to the PR's.

I don't think there is enough political will, and therefore enough money to do it.

Private money will do this on the cheap. Enter the snacks.

We have churches here including my former one in Arkansas that I know of specifically as one of the founding members long ago. We BUILT a food pantry program that served 54 people on our very first day. Then grew to serve approximately an average of about 180 once a month including meat, milk products and so on.

Most of the food products are donated by large stores because they are past sell by dates. Generally understood by the recipient of the donated food that there is no liability should someone or a family get sick trying to eat food that has spoiled. A percentage of it is a loss. Written off and donated.

Our first budget was 800 dollars from Church membership tithes for the food pantry. Now the budget is running about 3500 a month including electrical costs imposed by cooling vaults and other devices to protect the perishables. There is about 200 members in that church, most of them relatively prosperous and able to tithe a good amount each sunday.

Essentially a business decision by the donating food store. The milk might be two weeks older than currently sold today on the shelf. I bought a half gallon yesterday that expires on 30 nov. Last month's milk expired at the day it was in the bag. As a former milk hauler, I smelled the classic odor of spoilage so down the drain it went.

PR is poor. Over and over and over again something happens and they come begging.

Unfortunately under our Political system of Government, PR is our problem. Not necessarily a 51st state but more of a colony that is unwanted, nor do the people there want to be considered Americans. We are not liked that much.

They need everything. Well, they are not going to get it because it's too #### expensive.

Which is why they need to live on a bag of MM candy. Which is not a life at all.

8. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    MREs have M&Ms in them. Just be careful opening them. The glue that holds the two halves of paper comes undone and you lose half your M&Ms. The ones with the Skittles will do the same thing but they aren't as bad.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stupid, hungry people complain about free food because it's not "culturally appropriate."
    The Kartrashians are worth millions because stupid people grovel and fawn over them. Those stupid headlines, "EVERYONE, is talking about Kim's new dress!" Every stupid person probably is. I won't even click on those articles because the Kartrashians get paid for every click.

bzinger and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    We used to get a 4-pack of cigarettes included. Do they still do that?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't even know who they are actually. Im behind times by choice.

Entertainment has condensed into what I think is less than 10 large companies across the USA. They determine what content is pushed onto the media. And frankly some of it is not acceptable.

I cannot wait for the fixed satellite channel bundles to be broken up and allow the buyer, that's me to pick specific channels to put on that account.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.