Per Diem paid by company less than daily rate. Itemize difference?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Joeziah, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Joeziah

Joeziah Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Simple question but none of the existing threads seem to address it.
    My company paid me a per Diem that amounted to $9325
    I was on the road for 355 days in 2016 so my per Diem at the standard $63 would be...
    355 * 63 * .80 = $17892. Correct?

So, shouldn't I be able to claim the $8567 difference or do you forfeit that higher deduction if you allow the company to automatically pay per Diem?

I'm thinking if this is the case I need to get my pay structure changed considering how long I'm out.

Thank you in advance for the help, sorry if this is a duplicate.

EDIT
    You do not forego the full amount you are entitled to if your company reimburses for per diem. You would calculate your per diem you are entitled to and subtract out the amount of that your company reimbursed. Then itemize that.
    I used Turbo Tax, it wasn't clear in there but YOU do not do the 80% calculation, the software does that, otherwise it will take your 20% reduction and reduce that by 20%...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Reason for edit: Answer appended to initial post.
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Are you SURE that out of your 355 days out none of them were half or partial days?

KB3MMX and crb Thank this.
  4. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My company pays $55 a day Perdiem. I just did my taxes and for each full day that I was out claimed in additional eight dollars to bring it up to 63. Partial days out count as .75 of a day.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I have posted in many threads concerning this.

Keep track of what you are paid by the employer. Keep track of what you are allowed. Subtract the difference is what you are still allowed.

2016 is $63 in US and $68 in Canada

Full days = 80% of $63.
    Partial days = 75%(80% of $63).

or just multiply partial days to get a full day count, add to Full days then * 80%.

6 partial days.
    15 full days

6 * 75% = 4.5

4.5 + 15 = 19.5

(19.5 * 63)*80% = $982.80 or round up to $983.

BTW.. this is how Turbo Tax figures it out.

6. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    An accountant who is familiar with per diem should be able to help you with this question.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Because under the IRS rules, DOT related work is at 80% of the per diem rate.

9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Pg 6 and 12...

Individuals subject to “hours of service” limits. You can deduct a higher percentage of
    your meal expenses while traveling away from your tax home if the meals take place during or incident to any period subject to the Department of Transportation's “hours of service” limits. The percentage is 80%. Individuals subject to the Department of
    Transportation's “hours of service” limits include the following persons.
    Certain air transportation workers (such as pilots, crew, dispatchers, mechanics, and
    control tower operators) who are under Federal

<<>>

Special rate for transportation workers. You can use a special standard meal allowance
    if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:
    Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or
    truck, and Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.
    If this applies, you can claim a standard meal allowance of $63 a day ($68 for travel outside the continental United States) for travel in 2016. Using the special rate for transportation
    workers eliminates the need for you to determine the standard meal allowance for every
    area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you choose to use the special rate for any trip, you
    must use the special rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips
    you take that year.

Travel for days you depart and return. For both the day you depart for and the day you return from a business trip, you must prorate the standard meal allowance (figure a reduced amount for each day). You can do so by one of two methods.
    Method 1: You can claim 3/4 of the standard meal allowance.

Attached Files:

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  10. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016

11. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    Don't read this. I am wrong

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.