1. michaelmtc

michaelmtc Bobtail Member

May 17, 2007
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I got a question. I am talking to a company they pay .35 cents a mile, but they informed me that .07 cents of that per mile was per diem pay. So basically I am thinking I am working for .28cents per mile. If I am correct because is this not going to screw me on my taxes at the end of the year. I am confused, I don't understand how this works I have never worked for a company that pays per diem, so if anybody can offer any clearity to this question, I do appriciate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It wont hurt your taxes.
    You will pay less actually.
    The problem is you will also pay less into Social securty. So less when you retire.
    You will get less unemployment.
    Less workmans comp.
    Probley more reasons.

4. DeputyDog

DeputyDog Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Dayton,Oh
    I'm told that it will also affect your borrowing ability as your W-2 will reflect only the .28 cpm numbers as earned taxable income. Talk to a tax man and someone from your bank or credit union.

5. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    You as a drive also get boned because you can take a per diem for the full amount each day, but if you get the split pay, it turns into a real bear to figure it out. Sometimes you can find out that you can't even run a legal full day in a state and make up the per diem with the mileage.

And let's talk about the days that you run short. The companies save money on paying taxes on you is why they do it.

6. michaelmtc

michaelmtc Bobtail Member

May 17, 2007
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Thanks for all the feedback. This site is great, because if you have a question you can get an honost answer. Thanks again for all your help.

7. IrishMike202

IrishMike202 <strong>"Ireland-It's My Island"</strong>

Jul 10, 2007
    West Virginia

Can anyone explain this? How exactly does Per Diem work? I too am confused on this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.