Perfect antenna location on big trucks?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Oldironfan, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I've read on some social media behind can is best for pickup. But is this also true for semi truck. And is twin better? And what is a solid novice stick to Use?
    I might want to buy a new to me radio.
    Any recommendations for a novice big rig set up. I don't want to skip, or step all over signal. Just be able to hear and be heard for a good distance away from my truck? 20 miles or a bit better Is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help. I also know new is not the best stuff made in the big picture. I may buy an old time quality used radio. That has been custom touches.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    On top and in the middle of the trailer would be good if the top is metal. Other than that, depends on the truck and your options are limited. 20 miles is a stretch on 19 except late at night when it's quiet.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Might need 60 watts of output I guess.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I was told at OKC that as far out on the mirror as I could get on a 379 Pete. However after the way my Connex 3300hp sounds after he worked on it I'm not sure to believe it

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    I have a connex 3400hp that reached 20 miles with twin front coil sticks. 60 eat output. But has power switch issue. I coiled the coax at the top of door on each side for swr.

7. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Take a look at what other truckers do and that's what it takes. Usually you see antennas on top of the mirrors on the big rigs. From that position, you can achieve a height which won't exceed what's needed without hitting bridges etc, and be as far to the side as practical for the signal to "see" around to the rear. Twin antennas can provide some benefit, but it takes a lot of tweaking and special installations to get those benefits, which most drivers don't seem to want to bother with. See this site for lots and lots of info:
    KØBG.COM

mike5511 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
  9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    He means the RF signal gets around the rear of the big trailer that your trucks pulling. Haveing dual antennas on a big truck causes your signal to be more forward and rearward, rather than omni directional. Most drivers don’t care about distance to the side of their truck, mainly the truck in front or behind them. It’s called co-phasing (twin) antenna system, something they figured out that works well on big trucks back in the 50’s and 60’s.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    This sounds exciting.

11. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    The main drawback to the dual antenna system is that it can be more work to install, as Meteorgray pointed out. The radio basically sees both antennas as one antenna. So if you need to lower your SWR by cutting off 1/4 inch of the antenna on the passengers side, you need to cut 1/4 inch off of the drivers side antenna too. Both antennas need to be treated the same as far as making adjustment, therefore a lot more work. Also the antennas need to be 9 ft apart (1/4 wavelength for the cb band), although some guys claim you can move them closer for greater gain. I have no idea if thats true. As with all mobile antennas, they work better on a metal vehicles, unfortunately the modern trucks are going to fiber glass bodies which makes even a single antenna system difficult to tune.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.