Performance Air Filters for a W9 with Cat motor.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I used Cat SOS and I also currently use Donaldson's air filters. I'll look into Blackstone Labs analysis. I was a little concerned about the silicon number because I have nothing to compare it with like a range or something. How often do you change those paper Donaldsons?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I always just put a new air filter in annually. And that would be anywhere from about 45,000-75,000 miles on the odometer at that point. It could probably go another year because it never looks real dirty because I'm all highway miles. Now someone pulling a hopper and/or off road in extremely dusty situations that might be too long to go before swapping in a new one.

Yeah just that one sample and right after a rebuild don't sweat it. It'll most likely be down to normal the next time. It probably flagged it yellow on your SOS report and said to "sample as usual and run as normal, see what it says next time" or should have said that. Next time it'll probably be green. I did CAT SOS on every 12,500 oil change for the last several years of owning that other cat powered truck. I got a couple of bad samples that worried me but turned out to be nothing by the next sample. It happens but in your case dirt, or I should say dust, got inside of that engine while it was being rebuilt. Which happens to every engine that gets inframed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    If I don't change mine about every 30k or so my mpg really takes a hit. The truck runs sluggish and hotter too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.