Personal accidents and first CDL job

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by theRollingEye, Oct 19, 2018.

1. theRollingEye

theRollingEye Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I had a minor accident in my personal vehicle a year ago that doesn't show up on my MVR. Do I need to disclose it in my application for my 1st trucking job? It was a property damage accident with no police, minimal damage and nothing went in my MVR, but I made an insurance claim so it's in my claims history. This was before I was serious about driving professionally and my MVR is clean. The question is, at any point can companies pull your insurance records to find out?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed links
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It can show up through the insurance history. Don't know how many companies dig that deep, but the accident probably won't be a problem either way.
    What are you looking for in trucking?
    Where is your location?

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    If not on your record it didn't happened.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Ridgeline - what's your advice on this matter?
    Ridgeline is a fleet owner and can give us good insight on this.

6. Stinky Dairy Air

Stinky Dairy Air Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Midwest
    I wouldn't say anything about it, sounds like it's to minor to bother with.

7. theRollingEye

theRollingEye Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I'm looking to get into otr quickly with a good company. I also found this thread: Should I report deer strike incident on job applications?
    which supports most responses so far, but since hiring decisions are based on insurance, wouldn't companies want to, or be able to access any private insurance claims info on their drivers? I just want to know if there are companies that check claims records before or after hiring.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Unless you rear ended another vehicle or ran a stop sign and hit another vehicle, most companies won't give it a second look.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    bumpadabump and yelling does not make a problem.Minor.

Speaking of which sometimes follow me. I once dented ATF back in the 80's on one of their federally issued commuterbombs that could not get out of anyone's way and I was too big and slow to get out of it's way. So when he moved, I moved. DENT! $600 please. No? Sign please.

I love the ATF but they can take that 10 year government car and smoke it. They are probably still working on the dent. It's minor. But the story telling was not. All my employers were interested in that one.

10. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I wouldn’t disclose it. The less you can say the better off you are. It’s not on your mvr, so keep it to yourself.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    they very rarely if ever pull insurance records. just be 1000% sure it is not on your DMV record.

never mention anything that will not show up in the records.

however, an accident or incident on the job, with a big rig, then you really may want to inform someone, as hiding THAT can be a job killer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.