Personal conveyance

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lab work, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    I rode with a driver from Columbus Ohio to Phoenix and he was demonstrating how he takes his 30 minute break. He goes off duty for five minutes and then changes to pc and starts driving. The company had a 25 mile limit. And after the 25 miles his 30 minute break was complete.
    So I explained two things for him. If you continue to abuse the pc option the company will remove it and you screw the other drivers. Also what if you need to use it before you finish your driving shift? As he continued driving and eventually we came to a backup and he was low on time and became concerned that he would get HOS violation. So I just sat in the passenger seat with a grin on my face and watched him sweat a little.

Tb0n3 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I strongly doubt your dm had anything to do with adjusting your PC use. Call your logs and compliance division or safety people, and explain that you were bobtail, not under load, going to get food, and you were going to PC back to the receiver to get your trailer after you finished taking care of personal needs. Under new PC regulations this should be acceptable. If not, ask them to email you the full and complete guidelines the company has for PC use.

4. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    PC is u cant use it to make an progress of the trip like you hook to a trailer and you want to go to a restaurant and the restaurant is on the way to the customer if you are leaving a load somewhere you can bobtail any where and return to that load even home to get rest

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The PC I understood is two things.

1- You have been told by dispatch have a good weekend with your bobtail at home until sunday night to get a loaded pretezel trailer in Hanover. (Going to that trailer is driving and onduty logged from home bobtail) but all other activity is strictly off duty. Including fueling with my own cash money if need be. Some companies allowed us to treat the bobtail as a personal vehicle on weekends off. Which was a priveldge.

2- You are finished at a shipper or receiver. You go to where you can legally park to get food, laundry, fuel and more importantly undisturbed rest. there is NOTHING for PC to advance a load or towards a load waiting for you (Driving on duty}

I would refuse edits if I was driving today. The company gets their logs as they stand. They can either accept them or find a violation and then pull me in to deal with it. Nothing else. It will only take one edit for me to simply fly home and leave them to go find the truck for I would rather be out of the industry than to have people edit logs.

Remember, logs are on paper legal sworn documents once you complete a log page by signing at end of day.

Lab work Thanks this.
  6. Lab work

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    I never did determine who in the company did the edit. But when I see this on the website: (Motor carriers can establish personal conveyance limitations). I decided I will play along. My empty trailer and load is in Gibbon NE. The pilot is x 300, 13 miles and I have to pick up my load when it is ready and the relay is in Council Bluffs. About 180 miles and I have 3:15 remaining on my 70 hr. clock. If I use pc to pick up the load should be a easy run. But when the edit took affect I no longer had enough time to make it to Council Bluffs. So essentially who ever did the edit actually created a inconvenience for several people. So I stayed at the weight station and I am out of time. I was under the impression this is a team effort or part of the family. Like recruiting posters. Maybe this family atmosphere is like the Hatfields and Macoys or Bevis and Buthead.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Maybe their issue was that you chose to burn their fuel and use the truck to go to the Pilot when there is food and services available in Gibbon except a shower. Did you have permission or did you just do it?

8. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    PC is an exception mandated for allowing a driver who is out of driveable hours to get to a safe parking area for meals and rest periods. If you run out of hours at a customer you may use it if your company allows to go to a nearby truck stop or rest area for your rest break. It's purpose is to prevent drivers from getting logbook violations if they are forced to leave a customer when they are out of hours, or to allow a driver who runs out of hours while waiting at a customer to be able to get to a place with bathroom facilities, food, or a hotel.
    It's NOT for use with poor trip planning.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Team Effort?

Part of a Family?

Recruiting Posters?

Son, you are totally in the WRONG industry for that. This industry is like a den of snakes. They will bite, rattle and choke one another to be first out the den at sunrise to enjoy it.

There are many common war storied told for decades at the lunch counter where Driver Sam has saved the world a thousand times over with his running. Only to be fired for violating some obscure company policy that has been totally burnt along the way.

Lab work Thanks this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Didn’t have these silly problems 10 years ago.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. Lab work

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    loop

Yes it actually stated in the load assignment that the shipper no longer provides parking. And that I was informed to find a place to take my break. Mainly because they knew the load would not be ready until Monday. So I stayed at the Pilot for 28 hours before picking up the load. But I used pc to return to the shipper so I could conserve the time I had remaining on my 70 hrs. Hoping I can pick up the load and make it to Council Bluffs for the scheduled relay. But when the log edit took effect my time also disappeared. Causing the planners and dm to make adjustments for the relay. I have seen in the past where a dm will send a message or call and have a discussion concerning the company policy. Which I think is better than just changing everything and demonstrating a lack of courtesy.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.