Personal Vehicle Use Mileage Rate

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by cdgoza, Apr 25, 2017.

1. cdgoza

cdgoza Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Read some info saying the write off was 53.5 cents/mile. Anyone know for sure that is accurate or know where I can find it easily?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    2017 Standard Mileage Rates for Business, Medical and ... - IRS.gov
    https://www.irs.gov/.../2017-standard-mileage-rates-for-business-and-medical-and-moving-announced

Dec 13, 2016 ... Beginning on Jan. 1, 2017, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be: 53.5 cents per mile for business miles driven, down from 54 cents for 2016. 17 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, down from 19 cents for 2016.

Highway_Executive and cdgoza Thank this.
  4. cdgoza

cdgoza Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Awesome. Appreciate it.

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Just don't forget you're required to keep a log of those miles. Bites a lot of folks in the butt come audit time.

6. gentran

gentran Light Load Member

May 21, 2016
    I keep a small notebook in my pickup and record date, begin mile and end mile, and short description of reason (parts, post office, etc) then total miles. At tax time, total up miles and multiply by mileage rate. You will be surprised how many miles you use your vehicle for business. You cant use miles driving to your truck to drive your truck for hauling or driving home for time off. But, to clean your truck or work on your truck, its all write off mileage. If you buy a vehicle and register it in your company name, its all a write off. Thats the way i understand it.

7. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    There is one way you can deduct those miles. If you're an O/O and keep your truck at the terminal where you're leased on AND have a home office that meets the IRS' rules for "home office", then you can deduct those miles to and from the truck. Didn't get dinged by the feds when I was doing this.

As a side note, if you have a room that you really don't need or can live with out, clean it out and turn it into a home office for your business. Figure out the percentage of your house you're using for the office and take that percentage of all your utilities off on your taxes. Huge over the course of a year. Don't take my word for it. Talk to your tax accountant. They'll back me up on it.

gentran Thanks this.
  8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    We have two vehicles at home. Cadillac and a pickup. The pickup is primarily used for business related stuff, so it is totally part of the business operation and handled the same way as my semi. Depreciated expense and all costs associated with it written off, including tags. I live rural and need it to haul parts, oil, snowplow the drive and parking area, use it with a light grader assembly to maintain the gravel drive and parking area, etc. The wife will use it to come pick me up if I have to park the semi somewhere other than the house due to bad weather or other reason. If I have the wife go to the bank or the accountant with the car, she logs the miles and they are written off as business use of personal vehicle. Most times she just uses the pickup to save the reporting hassle. Now, that doesn't mean that she also doesn't stop off and get groceries with the pickup during that foray. The trip was primarily for business use, so no conflict. Just because one stops off at a Walmart and picks up a few groceries for their semi doesn't mean they cannot write off the semi expenses. Same thing applies to a smaller vehicle like my pickup used primarily for the business. It sure is nice writing off that $40K 2015 Silverado 2500 and the snow plow and all the fuel and maintenance for it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. PhilKenSebben

PhilKenSebben Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    I claimed them for 13 years and was never audited once. Some years it was "How much do I owe? Whats that plus (random couple thousand number of miles over) so I don't end up paying anything?" Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Yep... I do that at my house... but NOTE - the room has to be strictly an office, cannot have a bedroom with a desk stuck in the corner.

Anything house related you take the % off. Simple enough to build spreadsheets for this.

Mark

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You can claim either the mileage or the maintenance/upkeep, you cannot claim both..

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.