Phoenix: America’s hottest city is nearly unlivable in summer.

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    If you move to Arizona, you will instantly burst into flame and die horribly. (This goes double for Blue folks, because dark colors absorb more heat.)

WE'RE FULL. GO HOME.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm just down the road in Yuma. Lived there since 1995. Folks that live in the desert cope with the heat in the summer in similar ways that folks who live in the North cope with cold winter weather.
    My biggest concern about the Southwest has to do with future water availability. West has been in a drought for 20-ish years now. It doesn't look to get any better anytime soon. It's gonna be a serious problem you can't just throw money at to solve. I worked for the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation that manages water resources in the Western States and I specifically worked with the Southwest area and Colorado River basin. I've been watching and mapping (I was a cartographer) the dwindling water resources for many years and worked with many very smart scientists trying to analyze and forecast future water resources. It ain't pretty folks! I'd basically encourage anyone and everyone to get East of the Continental Divide before the largest mass climate migration in our recent history is upon us. Also want to add that the lack of at least 200 or more desalination plants being built along the Pacific coast is a shortsighted and arrogant tragedy in the making. I know I sound like a doomsdayer and don't mean to be. Just passing on my observations and worries based on spending 20 years as a part of that infrastructure. Not as an internet research 'expert' with dubious half ####ed zany assumptions, inferences and aluminum foil hats.
    I'd get out of there except that my significant other, who I don't think I could ever leave or desert, has her parents in Yuma also. They are elderly and there's no way she is going to leave Yuma because of them. I understand and accept. But, otherwise, I'd be gone!! Several places I've traveled through during my trucking adventures I think I'd like.

4. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Saw a documentary on this place. Once drew more visitors then Yosemite.

Salton Sea: The Rise And Fall Of A Toxic California Lake

5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Plenty of folks who have lived in Phoenix a long time.

I always found Phoenix far more humid then the rest of Arizona.

Buddy of mine has been there 30+ years. He was a transplant when he first moved there. When he misses green, he goes up to Mt Lemmon down in Tucson, or up to Flagstaff.

Or he jumps in the car or on a plane and travels somewhere.

When I lived in Tucson just about everyone I met was from Arizona. The ones who weren't were there for school, military, snowbirds, etc.

Never had an issue with the heat, but then I was in Tucson which is a lot less humid than Phoenix. Then again, I didn't go out during the hottest parts of the day if I didn't have to. Nor did most others I know. My experience, you see everyone out in the morning, not many in the afternoon, and then everyone out again in the evening/night.

I agree with @D.Tibbitt & @Gearjammin' Penguin Arizona is full. ;)

Thankfully the full part doesn't apply to me as I still have my AZ driver's license(expires 2042...LOL) and I do own a very small piece of property there.

I dig it though if someone can't adjust to the Arizona lifestyle. It was hard for me to do at first, but once I did, it's a part of me now. I'd rather deal with Arizona heat then the east coast humidity I grew up with and deal with now. Only reason I tolerate the humidity here on the sandbar is cause I can go jump in a ocean if I need to. ha!

I gotta stay away from threads about Arizona. Makes me homesick and hungry. All the great Mexican food, a sub from egees, a cold beer from Putney's.

Someone say hello to a saguaro for me.

Sirscrapntruckalot - I miss me some Arizona. :(

6. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I lived in Phoenix for about 2 years and yes absolutely baking at 0200 am. Strange thing is if the temps are the same in the Palm Springs area it’s much nicer there , much nicer. Lower humidity I’m guessing. I learned why Hollywood and the wealthy loved Palm Springs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.