Picked up a hitchhiker annnd got randomly inspected.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DirtyhandsMcgee, Feb 3, 2018.

1. DirtyhandsMcgee

DirtyhandsMcgee Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    First hitchhiker, it was cold out and just felt bad for him. My inspection went smoothly and the receipt I got doesn't show any proof of passenger EXCEPT for under my information it has a spot for the co drivers information but it's left blank. It does say co driver though. Is this on all inspection receipts or only ones where the DOT sees a passenger on board?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    First rule of anything is never ever pick up a hitchhiker.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If you're a company driver & they catch that on the inspection report.... you're gonna be hitch-hiking.

5. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    If it's blank I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    If your gonna do something so stupid to lose your
    job,at least do it over a female.
    We're revoking your man card.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    F...the rules and Dot if I get a hitchhiker like this. rsz_1sexy_hitchhiker_waiting_on_her_suit_case.jpg

The problem is all the hitchhikers I see look like this
    Hobo_Myers_final.jpg

RedRover, Feedman, Brickwall and 39 others Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Unless you are an owner operator operating under your own aurhority you should not have any passengers on your truck that are not authorized by the authority holder your operating under. 392.60 spells this out.

I saw an owner operator lose this battle in the northbound Hope Arkansas scale about 20 years ago. The driver was asked to get his carrier to fax an authorization to them for his girlfriend. He refused claiming he was an owner operator. This ended the best I can tell with a violation of 392.60 on the long form and I watched this young lady get in a cab. And yes it got heated and nasty. Remember 392.60 says AUTHORITY HOLDER, not just the owner. There are exceptions however they apply to emergencies, authorized employees and animal care.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    28, Mooseontheloose and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I used to think like that.

Story time:

1. Was running 20 east, leaving Dallas. Another driver spotted me.

Driver:How about ya TripleSix!

Six:Hello, come in.

Driver: Coming back from Cali. Picked me up a new girlfriend.

Six: ###### boy. She cute?

Driver: Slow down for a moment and check her out.

Pretty girl. Real pretty. Sitting in the passenger seat buck naked. With perfect tatas.

Six: WOW baby!

Well, they thought it would be funny if they hit the Lousyana scale with her like that in the seat. The scalemasters and the HP didn’t think it was funny. Turns out, she was an underage runaway.

GAME OVER.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Another hitch-hiker story. I was headed north on 99 from Chico with a loaded PIE tanker. It was raining hard and it was almost dark Alongside the road I saw an old car with a woman and two little kids, one barely a toddler, walking away from it.
    I stopped, got the mom and her kids in the truck, and took them to Los Molinas. I waited there while she called her husband from a pay phone (no cell phones in those days). I stayed there until her husband came and took her home.
    Two days later I get a call from Safety telling me I was getting a warning letter for unauthorized passengers. Apparently the lady had called PIE, told them the whole story, and thanked them for their driver giving her and the kids a lift. I explained my side but the warning letter still came. I told them that the next time I saw a lady and two little kids standing by a broke down car in a driving rain I'd stop and tell her I couldn't rescue her because PIE would rather she and the kids catch pneumonia or get run over than get a ride in one of their trucks. They told me I was insolent. I told them they were jerks. PIE wasn't noted for their sense of humor and fair play. Good thing it was a union job or I probably would have been fired.
    Two days after that I got a nice letter from PIE's public relation department thanking me for giving the lady a ride and appreciating the fact that I put the company in such good light. Sigh.
    I still have both letters framed on my office wall.
    If I had it to do over again I'd do the same thing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Dino soar, jfred2, LoneCowboy and 42 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.