Piddle Bottles and Littering

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Libertarian500, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Libertarian500

Libertarian500 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    I'm a driver, so this isn't really a question from the general public. However, it's one that comes up a lot. That question is why do drivers litter so much (especially pee bottles) and what can we do to curb this behavior?

There are a lot of places that we used to be able to park that won't allow it anymore and the #1 reason seems to be because of littering.

Personally, I have a garbage can in my truck and I empty it whenever I'm in the fuel island or near a dumpster. I try to be courteous and I try not to make a mess when I go places. I even gather up the garbage after sweeping out the trailer and dump that in a garbage can.

I routinely see drivers tossing pee bottles out the window, dropping bags of garbage on the ground, etc. I've also seen signs scrawled on light posts and other places near where we park saying things like "Truckers are Littering A-Holes" and the like.

This is definitely something that needs to be changed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006
    I don't think it will change, people have lack of respect. And honestly I don't know how they can either aim, or fit into the top of a pepsi bottle but some do.

I noticed you use a trash can, I have a 5g trash can, but I like to put the full size trash bags in there, so when I get to fuel up and they have those small openings I have plenty of bag to wiggle all the stuff thru that small hole.

4. Libertarian500

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    That's for sure. You're probably right, so they'll keep ruining it for the rest of us.

Good idea. I use a little 3-gallon can that fits behind the passenger seat snugly (so it won't dump over). It's easily accessible while driving so I can throw wrappers or whatever in there without having to look down to aim for the can. I usually throw empties (bottles, big gulp cups, etc.) on the floor on the passenger's side where I've got a little blockade of shoes to keep them from rolling around. :)

I carry full-sized garbage bags and use them once in a while, but mostly get away with just using shopping bags to hold the trash. I empty my garbage frequently (usually once a day), so it doesn't pile up very quick anyway, but sometimes it might be a while, so the garbage bags come in handy.

I won't say I've never peed into a bottle (wide-mouth ones are best, which is probably why Gatorade sells so well at truck stops), but it's not a habit with me. There's always somewhere to pull over, even if it's just an off-ramp, so you can get relief. If you're in such a hurry that you can't take time to stop, you either didn't plan your trip right or you work for the wrong outfit and are eventually going to get killed running too hard. That's my thought on it.

5. CoolCargo

CoolCargo Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The few always seem to cause problems for the many. Every law we have in existance is testament to this. If everyone was kind and considerate, we would not need laws and rules at all. The only thing we can do about this and any other problem is to have the courage to speak up when we see it. It will not always help but it sometimes does. Part of the overall problem in our society today is good thinking people turn away when they see something wrong happening because they don't want to get "involved".

Litter is a universal roadside problem and the truckers contribute far too much, but we also get blamed for the 4-wheelers trash. Many times I have seen motorists dump trash in rest areas that gets attributed to truckers. Was in a wide pull out frequented by truckers and a group of three cars pulls in each loaded with 4-5 guys. They jump out, piss all over, toss out several bags of trash. When I cordially invited them to modify their behavior, they declined, indicated their opinion of me with their hand salutes and took off. A solution is to promote clean-up days where we get together as a group and clean up some of these problem areas. Pick one, get a group of like minded drivers together and fix it.

The piss bottle is a double edged sword. With the lack of developed parking with facilities, ya gotta park somewhere and nature will call. Used responsibly, the bottle is a very small version of a holding tank, like in a bus or RV. As long as it doesn't wind up on the ground and become a part of the litter problem as discussed above, I applaud their marksmanship. I have had to do this on occasion but keep a bottle with a large opening and a lid that seals well. I will dump the contents when at the next available facility. It is a much better solution than pissing on the ground by the rear tires. If I have a mechanical issue and have to go under the truck, I don't want to have to do it on the ground where someone relieved themselves earlier (yuck). This is true even in truck stops. I HATE it when I park, get out of the truck and step into somone elses improvised urinal complete with pleasant odor.

So the bottom line in all this is when we see something we do not like,do something about it. Speak up, find other like minded people and take action. If we stand by and do nothing, nothing will get done.

6. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    We all must suffer due to the few who abuse the system! Too bad we couldnt make it a 'reward' system to the righteous ppl who try to do it right---like special permission when see one of these offenders to 'kick the crap out of them' and get away with it!! ha ha:biggrin_25523:

7. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it is a terrible blight on truckers and you wouldnt believe how much I get these questions from the public. And the pee bottles is a pet peave of mine. I don't care if you pee in a bottle but don't toss it on the side of the road or the parkign lot where some poor, severely underpaid guy has to pick it up. That is so grose.

I was in wildood FL last month and I pulled forward into a spot just to do some paperwork quick and I was totally disgusted by the amount of trash back there just because some lazy truckers can't walk any further than the back of there trailers

8. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    I'm with ya, Bro! I used to think that it was the 'younger' drivers doing, til I saw an 'old fart' do---just lazy ppl, all kinds!!:biggrin_2553:

9. class441

class441 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I never realised what slobs we look like until I had a few loads where I stayed in New Jersey truck stops. It looked like the day after a small town festival with all the food bags and crap all over.
    There are plenty of trash cans at truck stops and rest areas, I think what you are seeing is stuff from people that do not stay at these but sleep on offramps and stay away from the public. Once in a while we might all end up parking somewhere far away but there's no excuse for dumping trash on the highway.

10. Libertarian500

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    Here's something to think about: in several states (esp. here in the west), volunteer cleanup crews on the highway are often Boy and Girl Scout Troops...

They had a big deal this last year over it because they had to either issue rubber gloves and face masks or tell the kids not to pick up any bottles (whether full or empty), since you never know what WAS in them.

What's that telling these kids?

11. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Well, let's add this as well: I was sitting in Dalton,GA (at the BIG peelot, ex 326 I75), and I saw several drivers walk up to the curb, open a pee bottle and dump it in the grass. The amazing thing is that there is an RV DUMP at this pilot, and most drivers were pouring out their bottles less than 20' from it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.