Pilot Travel Center, Matthews, SC

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Hours, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Hours

Hours Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Too much spare time tonight and found an old journal listing this old login from 7 years ago - still works!

Anyway, I've been watching old Soprano! reruns on youtube lately when my memory was jogged concerning a number of unusual events at the stated location many years ago when it was affiliated with Wilco. Converted to Pilot last year? Haven't been that way in ages.

Late 1990s into the early 2000s, I ran up and down I-26 nightly, running either a food service shuttle (doubles) or pharmaceuticals (48' lift gate and/or 26' lift gate box truck). Often stopped at the old Wilco nightly due to its convenient location, parking and food. Perfect place for a break.

For maybe a 1 year period around 2001-2003, many strange 'events' happened at the Wilco and across the Carolinas, but primarily at the Wilco. Was like a weird egregore had settled over the area. My story will focus on the Wilco.

Not every visit but at least once a month or once every other month I would pull into the Wilco and experience gangster type 'wise guys'. Walking around the truck fuel island or truck parking looking for trouble. Even the private vehicles on the property were overwhelmingly from the NE US according to their license plates. I ignored the harassment being meted out to others as I was minding my own business and didn't want to get involved.

The same stuff, over and over. Drivers being accosted for real or imaginary slights. Drivers continually stating they didn't know what the aggressor was speaking of and they surely weren't looking for any trouble - just hard core yankees looking for 'entertainment'. A number of pull through spaces in the back with designated spaces for oversize.

I wasn't running a cb on the trip in question while following an oversize carrying a large cabin cruiser boat in off of the highway. He parked in the pull through oversize space, set his brake and I parked behind him. It was close to the building; I could back up and make a 90 degree turn if he was still there when I departed.

I went inside and went immediately to the men's room, as per usual practice. Upon coming out, I was met by a very stocky, well built guy with a pronounced Soprano! type accent. He asked if x truck was mine and I replied affirmatively. He stated "you're blocking me!" and I asked "how so?" All he could come back with was "you're blocking me. Do something about it." All I could come back with was "please forgive me", broke off the conversation and walked next door to the hamburger shop to grab a bite.

The same scenario repeated itself inside of the hamburger shop. I finally broke off the conversation again by stating "my truck isn't interfering with your truck in any manner and I have nothing else to say". Mr. 'gangster' immediately launched into a loud, profanity ridden tirade about me, my truck, my family, southerners, Wilco, you name it. He cut me to ribbons - had never experienced anything like it before.

Had lost my appetite by this time, asked for a cup of coffee (with both hands shaking) and departed the premises. Yes, I felt like everyone was observing me to see what I would do next. I'm certainly not Steven Seagal and I couldn't shoot him. I was so rattled that I didn't stop there again for at least 5 years. During the period indicated I experienced 'wise guys' at various truck stops and/or on the cb but the 'activity' eventually faded away. Experienced one other 'wise guy event' several years later in Delaware that was most likely union related and left me equally rattled.

I'm seeking a catharsis. Thanks for taking the time to read this. First received my restricted chauffeur's license in 1973 per employer regulations so I could pickup, deliver and retrieve commercial trucks for our truck shop.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
  4. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Mathews is a nasty hole

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have not been to Matthews in a long time. Since long before your wise guy problems years.

I tell you this much. It's sometimes better just to stock food, fluids and necessary things in the truck for yourself and just hit the good stops for fuel only. In and out no fuss.

Now Bankhead Atlanta Petro fuel line was a problem as was Jessup Maryland, and I'll tower over the thuggie pup and bellow "I have NOTHING FOR YOU. GIT!"

What happens from there will depend on the situation that develops from there. Every time a stranger squeaked something at me I just repeat what part of Nothing do you not understand?! Delivered louder.

Once in a while that led to some violence. That for me was a stress reliever back in those days provided no knives or guns came out. But as time and age went on... it's not as fun.

Take care of yourself.

Hours Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.