Pipe loads more than 10 feet high, how to safely unload?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by CuriousZack, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CuriousZack

CuriousZack Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I’m hoping you will all let me tap into the vast wealth of experience, from within the members of this forum, to help me find a solution to a problem.

I work at a pipe company in Alberta, Canada as their safety officer. We have loads of 42, 48 and 36 inch, 40 foot long, pipe coming in from the coast on a regular basis. This pipe will come in layers on the decks. This pipe can be 2 or 3 pieces wide but only 2 levels high. Each layer of pipe is wrapped, at each end, with a chain.

The problem that we are having is that the transport drivers have to climb on top of their loads to release these chains. This puts the drivers above our 10 foot maximum height that law allows and there have been some close calls with drivers almost falling off the top of their load when their chains let loose unexpectedly. Our pipe loaders aren't large enough to unload the whole layer at once, which would allow the driver to undo the chains from the ground.

My only idea is to have a ladder that the drivers can climb up on, beside their load, and undo the chain from there.

Any thoughts suggestions or questions?

I really appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance!

Zack

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    are you always unloading the same place ? if so how about a deck placed above that they could back under.

4. CuriousZack

CuriousZack Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for the reply Okieron. They are mostly in one area but not always in the same place.

The deck above is a good idea, just not sure if something that big and permanent would work for us. The height of the loads change, so the deck would have to be adjustable. Might be pretty expensive too.

5. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    How much is a man's safety worth?

6. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Well sounds like you need an arresting station setup, so they can walk on top of the pipe, and be stopped from falling by the arresting gear. Pain to put on etc, but a necessary evil if you absolutely, positively have to be on top of the load to undo a chain. The gear allows you to freely go high low, but needs to run the length of the bay area the trailer would be in, and an access ladder getting them there.

Start here or google "Fall Arresting Station".
    https://www.gorbel.com/Products/fall-protection-equipment.aspx

Good Luck

7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    picture ? so we can see exactly the situation.

SHC Thanks this.
  8. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    why make the driver accommodate the inadequate equipment.

Get the right equipment for the job.

What's a persons life worth to you? Put another way, What's the right equipment cost to unload it correctly?

9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    If the drivers have to climb on top to release these chains then it stands to reason the when loading they have to climb on top to put them on. These chains cant be put on from ground level when loading so they can be taken off at ground level when unloading? How about a man basket to put the drivers in?

10. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    how about getting an employee to do so you don't put the drivers safety and chance of a lawsuit against you,seems logical cause im not gonna climb up there where its unsafe according to you and risk getting hurt,your freight your responsibility to be able to unload it safely

11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    You need to install a unloading station. Catwalk or something of the like, and a above harness for the driver. it only takes a few seconds for the fork truck to drive the stuff to a it's proper location.... but will take you a lifetime to explain to your insurance company why a driver died unloading on your property !!! I'm sure your a big company, but a multi-million dollar lawsuit in this economy would hurt anyones business.

just food for thought...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.