Placarding question.

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by snowez, Sep 3, 2022.

  1. snowez

    snowez Light Load Member

    May 15, 2013
    Okay I need some help for real world placarding

    So column 3, column 6, and on the far right of the chart is placard advisory. Most all of these per UN number show the same placard but in column 6 some UN numbers show 2 different placards. Does this mean I need to put two different placards on each side of the trailer?

    Getting ready to start my first hazmat job and want to make sure I do it correctly. I guess what i’m trying to find out is what column is for placarding the outside of the truck.

    Is the placard number they give on the BOL the only number I need or should I be looking in the book to see if theirs more placards required then what was put in the BOL.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Judge

    Judge Road Train Member

    Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    If it’s flammable + UN just the flammable with UN.
    if it’s Environmental hazard too, need that one as well.
    or Corrosive + Flammable etc

    On a 4 compartment tank i once had 32 placards..
    baha Thanks this.
  4. Dave1837

    Dave1837 Road Train Member

    Nov 16, 2019
    Depends, could you post a pic of the hazmat column of the BOL? I haul some hot pavement dressing with xylene mixed in. UN 3256 HOT but it's class 3 and 9 so I have to use class 9 3256 with class 3 flammable as well
    wis bang Thanks this.
  5. snowlauncher

    snowlauncher Road Train Member

    Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    The reference chart in the hazmat book will tell you exactly what placards you need to run for each specific UN# and hazard class. When in doubt it's a good rule of thumb to run placards, even if it's not a placardable amount. As long as the hazmat class and the UN# matches what's printed on the BOL.
    For example if one hazmat class on the BOL requires placards + UN#, and another doesn't, it's ok to run placards for both types. The DOT won't pop you for over placarding, as long as the placarded classes match the paperwork.
    MACK E-6 and wis bang Thank this.
  6. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Subsiderary hazards do require a 2nd placard. there are flammable liquids that are also inhalation hazards requiring the class 3 with UN number [tankwagon] and a class 2 inhalation hazard with skull and crossbones...Shipper needs to provide the correct product description onthe paperwork and the required placards, as needed.
  7. MACK E-6

    MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

    Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You need to be careful though. That’s not a good idea for class 7 because the only group of class 7 material, which would be yellow number III, that requires placards is also highway route controlled.
    snowlauncher and wis bang Thank this.
  8. mustang190

    mustang190 Road Train Member

    Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    What does the BOL say?
    The placards must match the BOL and the shipper must provide them.
    tscottme Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

    Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

    May 4, 2015
    Post a pic of the bol.
    wis bang Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted