Placed out of service?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Feb 20, 2019.

1. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    do drivers usually get fired when placed out of service? Is it hard to find another job with this violation? It was a minor thing. Or at least I thought until I got out oos

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I would say generally not but certainly a lot has to do with the circumstances and the boss and your value to the company when you’re not getting OOS stickers.

If you’re driving old equipment held together with baling wire and the grace of God, this is going to happen at some point and the owner has to know this. But if this was due to not having all your paperwork and logs in order, that’s another matter assuming you’re not being forced to drive at gun point.

slow.rider and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    No! OOS is not a violation, it means a DOT officer has determined that to allow you to continue to operate a CMV would be unsafe. Either because YOU are unsafe or the vehicle is. Then there are the violations that cause this. Get the situation fixed whatever it was. Your job is not in jeopardy just from one OOS.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Depends, why did you get placed oos?

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    you don't get placed out of service for "a minor thing".

Tb0n3 and ZVar Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've been fined by a company for being placed OOS before, $50. To get fired for an OOS, you would have to be a repeat offender, or the violation was so careless that an owner will just cut you loose

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It depends. A couple of years ago, I had a truck put out of service the day after it got a full work up and annual DOT inspection. The DOT guy found a tiny little crack in one of the aluminum trailer wheels that I, the driver and the mechanic all missed the day before.

Crap happens, sometimes.

Now, when that same driver got put OOS for falsifying his logs, he was also OTD (out the door).

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  9. Truckingisforsuckers

Truckingisforsuckers Bobtail Member

May 31, 2021
    You can't find a job for 3 years. Start a better career.

10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Hahaha! I once had a service call to the EB 40 scale 9mm in Arkansas. OOS, for an oil leak?

Driver had a load of crushed cars, and one car had left a small puddle on the deck of the flatbed. Oil was not leaking onto the ground. Just a small amount on the deck..

No other violations.

I've seen multitudes of OOS violations that we're not an issue. Lots of the rubber air lines cracked, which were newer trucks painted after assembly, cracked paint on flexible rubber lines.....

slow.rider, SoulScream84 and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Hope you told the DOT cop he's a tard lol.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.