Plan B????????????

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by newdrivermaybe, May 7, 2008.

1. newdrivermaybe

newdrivermaybe Bobtail Member

May 4, 2008
    bluejacket, ok
    *sigh* DS turned out to be bust for me. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it was good that I had a tentative start date 3 weeks out. Turns out DS couldn't get me accepted as a learner driver by their companies. So now I'm back to square 1 trying to figure things out. Had a nice long chat yesterday via IM with a wonderful lady at CFI. They will pay for driver's training IF you can pay the part of tuition and NO contracts. Called around to our local community colleges and the closest thing I can find to truck training is week long class to get my Bus certification! :biggrin_2553: So now I've about decided to take the written permit test for my CDL and go from there since I can't afford to pay for school myself. Don't get me wrong, if I had decided a few years back to do this, it wouldn't be a big deal to pay for it. But the closer to the teen's gradution and paying for her college, the tighter funds become as I've already put her college money away since pre-med is VERY 'spensive.

Suggestions anyone?????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CflTeam

CflTeam Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Central, Fl
    How much was the cost for tuition at CFI?

4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Yeah, don't pay for her college. Yes, I am serious. Too many kids who have their parents pay for college end up just playing. I, as well as my brother and sister, paid for our college education completely by ourselves. If you work hard for something, you will appreciate it more.

5. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    To be honest,I would just go get the bus endorsemnet and drive school bus.Its a pretty fair gig around here.You will start as a sub,then get into a full time slot once one is available.My buddies aunt has been a bus driver full time for 6 years.She makes about $40,000 a year,including working at the school during the summer prepping it for the following year..Heck,I wish now i would have done that when I had the opportunity lol.But I think I would rather pull a 5,500 gallon tanker full of toxic waste,then have a bus load of kids..Kids are the most preccious cargo out there,and there are way to many dumb***** in my town that cant drive 4 wheelers like the normal people do in my town..Good luck on what you decide,I hope it works out....

6. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    <shudder>

School bus driving is definitely not in the cards for some of us :)

Newdrivermaybe- I don't recall (from other threads) if you've posted anything about your background..

Have you tried Workforce Investment Act grant? You apply at the county unemployment office. If approved, WIA will pay up to $4000 of tuition. And, since it's a *grant*, you don't have to repay it.

Further, you come out of school beholden to no carrier, so you can apply for employment anywhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.