Planning on driving a truck, thinking about car hauling.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by FireStar01, Dec 17, 2018.

1. FireStar01

FireStar01 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    So I'm new here, and my current plan involves graduating high school, getting through national guard basic training, and hitting the road in a truck. The current extension of that plan is to buy an older 6x4 cab over and a hopper and haul grain for a while, and getting into flatbed work after that. Problem is I have a habit of browsing TruckPaper when I shouldn't be, and something caught my eye.

An oldish single axle White/GMC integrated sleeper with a four car hauler. Truck is clean and solid looking all around, very little to no rust, interior is also really clean, aero model, and the trailer is really clean with very little to no rust. Which, of course, got me thinking. Could I, as a rookie 19 year old, feasibly make a profit as a car hauler running from auctions or dealerships, confined to the state of Illinois? The plan after I turn 21 would be to either keep hauling cars with it, buy a new truck, or convert it to a 6x4 and keep using it. Or should I abandon hope and go with the original plan?

I should note, I have had one job over the previous summer where I had to tie down moving objects, mainly lawn mowers. And while I understand cars are a different beast, I would guess the same concepts still apply. I also have limited knowledge driving semi trucks, as I have driven my uncles' and my grandfathers' trucks during harvest season.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added details on 4x2 White and 4 car trailer
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com is a business website for the owner-operator.
    This website can give you information on insurance, business plan, etc.

4. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only young blood that had aspirations to drive. I have experience with multiple facets of transportation. My dad was an Owner OP (O/O) starting when I was 14. We mainly transported using a conventional box trailer. I also have been around car haulers (my dad went to hauling hazmat when I turned 20 which required me getting off his truck) in my time being a repo agent, etc.

From talking to car haulers I got mainly positive things however, most of the small business owners I spoke with their main issue was finding loads. I suggest, if your heart is set on hauling cars, try to reach out to tow and repo companies. They always need transporters, or "car haulers" to take cars to auctions.

Also, a cab-over may not be the most sound business move especially starting out. Here's why; government emissions regulations. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE cab-overs. But currently in the U.S, with very few exceptions, cab-overs to NOT meet emissions standards. My suggestion is to get a current emissions truck (EPA2017). When you go buy a truck, have it inspected and have an electrical diag performed to give you the most info on any issues present. Buying brand new is the best way, but very difficult for young guys due to many reasons.

Be prepared for things like DEF, DPF, ATS, etc.

Also, as previously mentioned, the ooida is a great resource as well as other members on this forum.

Do your research. You seem intelligent and have great aspirations. If you have any questions, feel free to ask myself, or any other of the great members here.

FireStar01 Thanks this.
  5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    First I would like to say that I respect your drive. I personally believe that any one of us can do anything we set our mind to. We may not always be successful, but I have learned much from my mistakes. These mistakes have allowed me to be happy with where I am today.

I really wouldn’t recommend buying anything just yet. Since your family is farming they probably can find someone to put you to work driving part time. I learned to drive old cars, tractors and then trucks on the farm and then the road before I was anywhere near legal. The National Gaurd probably can get you all the training and experience you will need to get your foot in the door of a great driving job and maybe carhaul company in a few years. Two of the best carhaulers I know never drove a semi for hire before starting at Allied Systems. One just retired after 40 years. The other is in his 20’s and is one of Jack Coopers top producers currently.
    Having a strong drive is important for future success, but patience and proper training is also if you really want to succeed. Good luck!

Unk and BigBob410 Thank this.
  6. FireStar01

FireStar01 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2018
    The problem with relying on the National Guard/Army to train me is that if I get my CDL through them, I'm going to be stuck in automatic trucks. Among other things I plan on going O/O, and there isn't anyone looking for an 18 year old to drive their truck. I also don't really want to drive an automatic that isn't in a car. Even in cars I'm reluctant to use them. I just feel weird without a manual. On the topic of driving, I've been driving tractors since I was 13 I think, cars since I was 15, and for most of that I've been driving a six speed manual Mini Cooper. I've only ever driven trucks on back roads empty, and when I miss a gear, instead of starting over my dad tries to help me get back into gear, when I'd rather stop and restart.

There aren't any repo companies I know of here in my town, but there are several in the big cities about an hour away from where I live. My hearts not set on it, but I love (most) of the styling of the White/GMC conventional for sale.

The cabover I've been eyeballing for a while is supposedly a '79 Ford with an 8v92TA. Last I talked to the owner he wanted $6500 for it, which means if I can scrape the rest of the money together, I'll have a truck with no payments, as opposed to getting a current emissions truck where if I miss a load I might miss a payment, something I don't really want to do. Among other things, I don't want to have to deal with DEF systems and ELDs. They honestly sound like more trouble than they're worth.

The White/GMC is a '91 aero hood tall sleeper, 4x2, with a Detroit 60 series. If I can haul to car auction from repo and towing lots in state with it, I think I'll be set for a while. Being the grandson of an engineer I like to think a lot, and I figured that once I'm done with the 4 car hauler and want to move to bigger and better loads, I can buy a salvage White/GMC 6x4 chassis and transfer the cab, engine, transmission, and hood if need be.

The biggest problem right now is I'm stuck in high school taking classes I'll probably never use in my life, the money in my savings isn't enough for the truck I currently plan on getting, I can't get a loan from the bank my savings are at for anything over 15 years old, and I don't have a job.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I hope to get some more info from you all.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Several months ago a guy in Nebraska had a similar question & we found a couple of jobs available that hire 18 yrs. old cdl school grads. They are companies such as Co-op and others that haul fertilizer and chemicals to farms and ranches, then spray the fields in some cases.
    Go ahead and get your cdl and also become a member of www.ooida.com to start the learning process early. You will then be able to have an informed, intelligent conversation about trucking during interviews, when the job hunt begins.
    [​IMG]

Omega1 Thanks this.
  8. frankdtank

frankdtank Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Short answer, don't do it ! I would tell you the same thing I tell my own kids, nothing trumps a good education. I like hauling cars just fine, but if I had a redo I would've stayed in school. I am sure the National Guard has programs to help you pay for collage.
    Now, if you really want to be an O/O a few things to consider :
    Can you even get insurance at your age and how much will it cost ? You don't want to end up in a situation where you work just to cover expenses.
    What are you going to haul ? Without steady work you are doomed and unless you know somebody people are not going to just offer you work.
    Can you do your own repairs ? An old truck like that is going to need constant attention and a good way to go broke.
    As others have said before, if you really want to be in this business get some experience working for a company. Maybe you can start in the wrecker business , learn the ropes and develop relationships with dealers, auction people and any potential future customer. My buddy did just that, moved up to a wedge, then a stinger and now he owns 8 trucks. It took him close to 10 years and he started for Trans Am pulling reefers after getting his CDL.
    Good luck.

9. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016

10. Armatus

Armatus Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Whatever you do don't sign up for OOIDA. They aren't as resourceful as China says which pains me to say becuase China is right about 99% of the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.