Plates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Pittstruck, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Pittstruck

Pittstruck Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Good afternoon everyone. I’m buying a truck in the state of Ohio and bringing it home to Pennsylvania. I will not be putting it to work until after the first of the year, leased to a carrier but buying my own base plate. My question is do I get and pay for my plate at my local notary like I would any other vehicle, when I do the title transfer paperwork? Or do I have to contact the dmv for any reason? I looks like it will be around 2300 dollars. Also how long do I have before I’ll need to do this, because I’m thinking of taking straight to Pittsburgh Power to have the emissions system cleaned before bringing it the rest of the way home. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I live in TN and i title it the same way as my car BUT i have a cmv dmv to go to to get your plate..

My plate runs $1550- $1700

Pittstruck Thanks this.
  4. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    The easiest way is getting your lease squared away first. Once you have that you can get your IRP account opened. You'll also need to open an IFTA account too. The desk is literally right next to the IRP desk in Harrisburg. Also, the other hurdle they'll make you jump through is the truck needs a PA STATE inspection before they will give you a tag. PA sucks for trucking companies. Truly. You might have to bite the bullet and have it towed or get outlaw and drive it in the middle of night.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Pittstruck Thanks this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    My ifta is thru the Carrier I'm lease on

Pittstruck Thanks this.
  6. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Are you registering this under a business or under your name?

I’m based out of PA. For my company, I run under my own authority and my truck is registered under my business not me personally.

You will need, for an individual, IFTA, 2290, two of the following:

Utility bills in your name with address cannot be a cellular bill.

2290 with stamped Schedule 1

Federal, state, county tax filing

Mortgage/ Residential lease Agreement

Title of CMV or photocopy of front and back

Current county issued weapons permit

if you are registering the CMV under your business name, you will need 3 of the following:

Utility Bills same as above

2290 with stamped schedule 1

Tax filing as above

Mortgage/Business property lease

Title

In addition you will have to provide full liability insurance (Non- trucking, deadhead or Bobtail insurance is not acceptable) this maybe a problem if you’re leased unto a company because when you’re leases unto a company, the insurance covers you while non-trucking and you are covered under the lease company while laddened with a load. If the lease company is charging for this insurance, you will need your own liability insurance which then you are paying double insurance on the same CMV. Under FMCSA regulations, the leased company must provide you with insurance. Minimum liability is $750,000.

Also, I was not asked to have a PA inspection done. However, I was told that I needed to have my CMV taken in for a MV-41 form to be completed. Not sure in your case. My truck, I brought new. Traded my 2019 International LT for a 2021 FreightLiner Cascadia. Since my truck only had 13 miles on it with a new inspection, this maybe why they didn’t ask for it.

Lastly, cost right now for an IRP is about $1,500 if you go directly to Harrisburg, PA riverfront office. It will be higher if you use a tag agency. I drove my truck with only dealership tags and a sign that said not for hire. Only one Port of Entry stopped me and I showed him my bill of sale and other paperwork. He let me continue on to PA.

I’m not an expert but this was my experience. As one other poster said, it’s easier if done in Harrisburg, PA because everything is right there in the same building on the same floor.

I’m still waiting on my tags because Daimler-Mercedes hasn’t gotten my title just yet. PA is a title state and they won’t accept anything but the title. Once I get a copy of the title, they will give me my tags right on the spot, no waiting at all. Also, PA doesn’t give temp tags. I tired to get them. Everywhere I called they told me I need the title. So, if you purchased the truck outright and have the title in hand, you will not go through what I’m going through waiting on a title to arrive.

Pittstruck Thanks this.
  7. Pittstruck

Apr 2, 2014
    Thank you. All a lot of useful information here. Not sure if I should just put it in my name or llc names. Which is better? Ok so it sounds like I’m good with my bill of sale for 30 days. I should be able to get everything done on the truck I need to... maintenance, pm, and inspection within that time frame. I have heard horror stories of waiting long periods for the title to come back, and I’m going to need that to lease onto my carrier I believe.

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    From my understanding you dont have 30 days to license a CMV like you do a car... If it's on the road it has to have a plate.

@Dave_in_AZ has this been your experience?

Pittstruck Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    My truck was not inspected when I got my plate.

I'm not sure about the DMV and the ride home and all of that but if you don't got to Harrisburg you have to go to a notary that specializes in a portioned tags.

A good notary will be able to explain to you everything that you need because they do that all the time.

You have to pay them a fee to send everything to Harrisburg but it does save you a trip from going there. I don't think the fee was crazy expensive.

They will give you a pro-rated tag so I don't know what that is at the new year I guess it's about six months it would be half.

Speed_Drums and Pittstruck Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Title should be flipped in a day or two. Seller should have you a new title in days. You need a plate to do anything, and if you're driving around with no insurance, you're insane.

You can get a temp 3 day plate to get you from a specific location to another, but that's it. Not location(s).

Although the one leasing company I deal with, takes like 3 weeks to get the title when the truck is paid of. They blame that on the state. Lord only knows.

Pittstruck Thanks this.
  11. Pittstruck

Apr 2, 2014
    Should I pay my 2290 before attempting to get my plate?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.