Play in trailer kingpin, how much is OK?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tom Thumb, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    How much play is ok with my fifth wheel and king pin. When starting to move from a stop there is a considerable amount of jerk, then while shifting a pretty good slam (as the trailer moves forward). This happens any time the tractor slows down and then speeds up. As far as I can tell there is no side to side movement but definitely front to back. I brought this to the company mechanic and they scoffed at me and made me feel like an idiot. He said it moves about an inch and says that’s fine (it feels like it could be moving more but I’m not back there to see) he also claims he once hauled heavy equiptment and had 4”-5” of play and that was fine too. I am a new driver for them and I admit I don’t have a ton of experience but as far as I know there shouldn’t be much play if any. So who is right? I don’t want to drop my trailer with 200 bbl of product in an intersection or anywhere on the road for that matter. If it’s not a big deal great but if it is I will have to stand my ground and make them fix it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, if it’s a matter of adjusting the fifth wheel jaws it’s an easy fix. Worse though is the kingpin itself being worn out.

If this alleged “mechanic” weren’t the idiot he seems to enjoy making people feel like, he would’ve had you lock the trailer brakes and bump your tractor back and forth to see exactly what’s going on there.

Bucky, Dino soar, Oxbow and 6 others Thank this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I dropped a trailer once. Picked it up in a snow storm with ice and all.
    Had a couple replies to watch for loose kingpins. One said he wouldn’t drive a loose kingpin. Maybe they will chime in here.
    You might think about walking from that company. No argument. Just. Walk so many love to argue and do nothing.

Grubby and Tom Thumb Thank this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    for reasoning, a little play if let alone will become big play...then you know what comes next. Write it up on a post trip inspection which forces the company to deal with it correctly and if not fixed call your local DOT office and ask for a inspection before you leave the yard. IF you leave the yard knowing something is wrong it is on you.

Grubby and Tom Thumb Thank this.
  6. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Thanks guys, I knew it didn’t seem right. I did write it up and they were going to be working on my truck and trailer to fix several other things that needed to be done so hopefully they will go ahead and fix it. Nice to have some input from some veterans, thank you for your time and advice!

Dino soar and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    If you have a sliding 5th wheel it could be the locking dogs are getting wore out too.

8. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    A lot of fifth wheels can be adjusted VERY easily by anyone using a special adjustment "stop bolt" that sticks out of the 5th wheel. I did that a month ago with my own fifth wheel. Took out all play on one trailer and most play with the other, which might have a worn kingpin. I watched a youtube video and did it. Mine is a Fontaine fifth wheel.

https://www.fifthwheel.com/pdfs/technicalbulletins/TB-012.pdf

Also try to shift more smoothly as to not to slam the kingpin as much.

Lepton1, Lav-25 and Tom Thumb Thank this.
  9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you cant grease your 5th wheel when trailer is empty, then when weather gets bad or roads muddy and truck ends up in ditch a few times you will be looking for another job?

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Uhhh what?
    I have a good idea what you mean, but what you said makes no sense.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's not play in the trailer kingpin.

It's play in the truck 5th wheel. The lock jaws need adjustment. IF the 5th wheel is adjustable. NOW, if you swap trailers and the problem goes away. The kingpin itself could be wearing down.

If it's not too bad. Keeping the 5th wheel greased will keep the knocking down. I use lucas 5th wheel grease. Makes a BIG difference over standard grease. And lasts longer. My wheel doesn't have an adjustment. I"m going on 2 1/2 years. It's not the first company, nor is it the first truck I've had that problem with.

As much as you all would like to say it's a big deal. I've dealt with that problem most of my 18 years. Through different companies and trucks. I'm not sure how many were adjustable. The truck I have now. IS NOT

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.