Please Don't Laugh at Me...2WD vs 4WD when using a dually?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by The3SomeTrailer, Jan 22, 2019.

1. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    This question is strictly for diesel duallies pulling wedges and flatbeds.

I understand that the 2WD will be more efficient, and that 4WD/AWD will guzzle gas more.

I want to know, from an experienced hauler, from someone with mechanical knowledge, which is the righ choice *for my particular situation*...which is sounding like it is not the norm for others in the industry.

Please keep in mind, I will be leaving the yard at 7:30am each day, empty. I will then go about my daily loads, ALL of them being within 100 miles of Atlnata, and NEVER crossing state lines. This is a strictly intrastate rig/setup. I am basically shuffling cars around for local dealerswaps and auction buys.

I will never be sleeping in this truck. It will never be loaded anywhere close to its max GVWR. And the suburbs of Atlanta aren't too challenging as far as hills go.

The thing that made me wonder about it is there is an option on the (new) F350 Super Duty's that allows you to switch from 2WD to 4WD on the fly. Pretty cool if you ask me. Is it worth the $3000 for the 4x4 package or should I stick with the 2WD?

I appreciate all input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I wouldn’t. Unless you’re going to be loading in fields.

For $3000 more you get lower fuel economy, higher cost of maintenance, a higher breakdown cost, and more things to break.

Keep it simple, keep it dependable.

KB3MMX, buddyd157, p608 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Sir. Thank you, genuinely. This is exactly what I was thinking, but my inexperience had me second guessing myself and thinking there would be some huge unknown factor to me that blew up in my face.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    4WD does not mean 4 wheel stopping! If it's bad enough out you need 4wd on normal streets, you do not need to be out in it.

It also simply means there is more to break, and as you are planning to use a vehicle not really designed for what you are doing (it's not built to be used 300+ days a year with those weights) it's just something else to break.

The only reason you would be advised to get 4wd is it might add to the resale value. I doubt it will add it's cost though.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I wouldn't, I have a 2wd ram that gets around just fine in the snow in South Dakota most days, and it's easier to get in and out of all day. The 4wd will add some to your resale value when you trade it in I would imagine.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I own a 4x4 tahoe a much older vehicle. It's a onery tempered beast with a mind of it's own in need of shop time for every mile I run it. But it's a nice vehicle for what I paid for it (Very little)

4x4 is something that will get you moving on snow and ice with the right tires and chain on both axles. That's all it will do for you with a penalty of a extra weight, extra maintaince etc. I have seen way too many idiots in 4x4 think they are somehow gods and end up in the ditch when I am looking for some place to put a 18 wheeler when she is dancing too much on locked tandem drives. I rather have that than a 4x4.

My previous truck was a two by four and it was by far the least trouble with maintaince pending. For example at least one axle probably rear has a differential ring gear with a missing tooth or two. It shows up from time to time through the drive shaft. God only knows what the front ones are doing. I'll have to open it up someday and get into it. Not sure if I want to do that right now.

The reason I keep it is two. We have storms that close the US67 freeway with three feet of flood water moving to bayou after 8 or more inches of rain in any 10 hour period. And the vehicle will cross that easily. And the second is that with chain if it is aboslutely necessary to get my ex to the VA it will provide us a chance to get her down there on ice in winter if need be. I can handle her car just as well on ice but not with the traction that this rig offers.

Offroad? Our land requires floatation tires. It's clay when wet and regular vehicles with standard radials just sink into and spin out stuck needing a wrecker to come get it out. It takes very little. Ive stranded my bobtail on my own land and had a wrecker come pull it off the clay after it was too wet to permit the steers to move forward with no weight on the drives. Even in the days of ready mixer, ive gone off road with it and gained quite a education really fast on what's possible and not with a 60000 pound rig. Never mind what I did with a 18 wheeler flatbed going off road long ago. It's dicey.

Atlanta does not do well on ice and snow. So that 4x4 might give you a chance on chain to get around. But do you REALLY wanna take it out and leave your cozy warm house into that mess? That's what we end up doing, stay home in storms.

If I had to use the 4x4 that gas tank being 25 gallon will be a asset. But it will be very costly with that 350 gulping it dry in a couple hours which would be what a 60 mile round trip would be. The last time I filled it was 4 years ago. I have put in approx 30 gallons every 18 months total for town driving if that. Being a pain patient there is only a few days each month I might drive it if at all. I am real particular about keeping legal with our DUI laws. Fuel mileage works out to a gallon every 4 miles. Only because it idles so much.

More than likely as not, my next truck will be a 2x4 for this area with larger tires for bad ground and payload. If I was higher up in the hills or in Maryland etc I will want a 4x4 for sure. But we have no need to go up to say Heber up there in bad weather where one state route usually washes out after a ice storm and is impassable to ordinary cars.

8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Atlanta area? A 2WD dually should do about all you would need. A locker differential would be a good option if it's available. I have pulled a 304 Cat excavator with a F350 2WD on a 20,000 lb tag along all around WV, PA, KY, and OH with no major problems. Good tires, common sense, will take you a long ways. Be safe out there.

KB3MMX, Oxbow and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Take a ride across 80 in Iowa today ...most of the dumbshats in the ditch pulling non commercial trailers are 4wd ... I laugh at those wanna bees lol.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    And just as food for thought..... Driving a F350 4X4 pulling a 20,000 lb Belshy trailer from Huntington, WV to Mobile, Alabama. Truck used a little over 2 tanks of fuel one way, of course that was Interstate running. 7.3 V8 diesel.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I live up in northern Alberta and I can't even remember when the last time was that I put my old F550 in 4x4. All the weight on the ### end definitely helps.

KB3MMX and magoo68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.