Please explain this to me... Landstar rates

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by TruckerWife71, Jun 20, 2013.

1. TruckerWife71

TruckerWife71 Bobtail Member

May 15, 2013
    I had a GREAT amount of help the last time I posted in here, so I am going to give it another shot. You guys rock, by the way!

I am confused about something... Doesn't Landstar already get 35% of the load that the BCO hauls? And, if this is the case, does that also include agent pay?? If that is the case, why are the agents low-balling the rates? I mean, I never expected to see such cheap freight... and that's elfin' HAZMAT!! My driver is stuck in PA because there is a huge lack of decent-paying freight... the rate might look good initially, but then you see the wait times, the # of days to deliver (4 days on a 600 mile load... Seriously?) and these don't pay. I don't know a driver who wants to sit 3 days for nothing... am I missing something? We are trying to pick up how this all works and not having a lot of luck... any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerWife71

May 15, 2013
    And we have watched one particular load today that started at $1.95 and has progressively been bumped to $2.13 throughout the day. And a lot of these have tolls.... that the driver is paying for... just frustrated, I guess.

4. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Loads go quick. Hazmat can be Hair Spray. ORM D. I only know if it don't pay, don't do it.

5. TruckerWife71

May 15, 2013
    Hazmat is Hazmat, regardless of what is in there, it's still a crock of crap to ask someone to haul it for $1.68. Period. Could he haul it if he didn't go through all that TSA garbage? No. So they shouldn't expect a driver who has the endorsements to haul it for free. I have been on the truck with him and spoken to enough drivers to know that brokers are out for #1, and my issue is that I don't know where the money is going from these loads, because it #### sure isn't going to the driver.

6. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I see Landstar rates from $1.12 all the way up to $$$.
    Brokers know some idiot will actually haul the freight for $1/mile.

This really shouldnt come as any surprise. They (Landstar or other brokers) will always try for the LOWEST price
    they can get. I have had them tell me that as long as someone is willing to pull for that, how is it the brokers fault?!

Hmm. Well, in a way - he's got a point.

I tend to see this with the truckers that are weeks or a month away from loosing it all and trying desperately to cling to some
    sort of revenue. The old saying "as long as the wheels are turning I'm making money".
    Well thats all fine and stuff except when you pull BELOW your cost. You cant ever make that up no matter how many
    miles you put on.

Now, a few weeks - maybe a month - this guy is out of business.
    Sad part is that there are PILES of more of them right where he came from.....

Landstar offered me a 48,000lb slinky from WI to AR. Pay? $1.38/mile.
    Really...I told them to haul it themselves for that rate.

But the next call from the next Landstar guy, offered a respectable rate for a different load.

7. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    Where are you looking? I just did a very quick seven day search for dry 53' van freight in PA useing 2.25 and less than 25k. I came up with 52 loads,most are less than 1000 miles but there are plenty of 3.00+ loads going over 500 miles. Are you looking for more miles or what?

spectacle13 and landstar8891 Thank this.
  8. TruckerWife71

May 15, 2013
    True...and that's what we were talking about today... getting hold of those cheap idiots and strangling them... I mean, if they want to continue losing money, I'll take it for 'em... easy peasy. That's why my driver is still sitting in PA... not gonna haul that crap. I applaud your response to that $1.38/mi. They should be hooked up to something that shoots an electric shock to their genitals when they make an idiotic offer like that... seriously?

We are trying to be patient... I know there will be bad days to go along with the good. It just seems a bit off when you first start out. He's been out for 2 weeks and has had fair luck so far (although I don't know that he will go back to the NW after the fiasco that turned out to be).

I do have a question, though... How far out do you book your loads? I told him that I should be looking as soon as he hits the road to deliver, and he didn't think that would be a good idea, but I don't think you can do it the way he is doing it and really get anywhere...

9. TruckerWife71

May 15, 2013
    He can't go to NY or through NY...his permit just got here in the mail...doing no good on my desk... he was looking for something for today... I just posted a question about how long out you guys book... he has been waiting till he gets to his delivery before he looks, and I told him a week ago that I need to be looking for him as soon as he leaves out to deliver...at least. So what's a good way to do that where we can keep him moving?

10. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    I love this topic. Please define cheap freight.

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I get better rates out of CH Robinson than landstarve.

Just saying

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.