Please explain

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by doireann, Apr 17, 2018.

1. doireann

doireann Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Maybe I am not getting something here. My hubby is union and has been on call for almost 3 years. I was talking to him today and saying that it would be great just to get a job with regular hours. He was saying that it is called a bid and they are hard to get. There are very few jobs with regular starting hours.
    Is it with union jobs that you have to have a bid to have a normal starting hour? or is the whole trucking industry on call if you do not have a bid?
    I don't mind the finishing time ; as long as the starting time is basically the same most days. I don't mind working late or the weekends. But this on call stuff ; I cannot imagine that all trucking companies work this way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Not sure on union starting times. Never worked for one and never will. Why not leave his union job if it’s that rough. Most local jobs start at the same time everyday. Pay should be the same with some paying more.

4. doireann

doireann Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Thats what I am trying to understand. Thanks

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Must be a pretty good job if it’s taking a while to move up. Apparently the people that have been there don’t want to leave.

Dave_in_AZ and Woodchuck88 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    OTR companies obviously don’t.

It sounds like your other half works for what is called an LTL company, in his case probably ABF from the sounds of it. This seems to be a common theme with ABF where they hire more drivers than they need, and therefore some might wind up sitting home babysitting the telephone.

I work for a similar outfit, but we’re non-union.

To my knowledge we have no one that is “on call”, and our bottom of the list drivers still have set start times. They just don’t have a set run.

7. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    I know the guys hauling water for gas drilling here show up to work and make $10 an hour sitting and waiting for a load that may never come. So it could be worse.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    A "bid" is a run or a route.
    Bids are picked by seniority.
    Your hubband is working as an on call casual.
    You have two options.
    Wait it out until someone higher in seniority retires, or someone gets fired, then he may get the worst steady bid
    OR
    Roll the dice, tell the terminal manager hire me for a permanent bid, or lose me.

x1Heavy and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  9. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I have a buddy who has been on call for YRC in OKC for over 5 years. He likes it, probably for the good pay and insurance. Once called, he has 4 hours to show up. I guess this type of schedule isn't for everyone.

And no, not every trucking company is like this. Many trucking companies have a set schedule. Food Service comes to mind.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    No, it's the union deal. He could go non union, but would be in the same perdickiment for a bit, but not years.
    Good luck

11. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    My company is similar to most as far as the extras. If you don’t bid on a set run you get the extra. Sometimes you get screwed- meaning a ton of stops and in crappy neighborhoods. Sometimes you get a real cupcake that you can knock out in 5-6 hours. Still get paid for 8.

I choose to stay an extra because the routes I can bid on are either lower paying or too far. We’re union, by the way.

But we usually start around the same time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.