Please HELP! I'm having trouble financing a truck!

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Joshbusico, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshbusico

Joshbusico Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    I have a 700 FICO8 score on all three bureaus. I had a personal vehicle voluntarily repossessed in 2012. That was six years ago! I have 10% to put down on a $40,000 truck. I have 10% down for a trailer as well. Go Truck Capital declined me and so did the other companies they sent my information to after declining me. What should I do now. Please do not offer leasing on to a company as an alternate method. I have my own authority and am ready to book my own loads. I don't want to be giving a percentage to another trucking company. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    How long did that 4000 dollars take you?

Is that all? Let's say you got the truck. A load of fuel 300 gallons is about a thousand dollars.

What are you going to do when you need 4 fillups in a week one way around the USA?

Is that it?

Im not trying to be difficult. But wait a few more years preferably 10 before you start tossing down credit applications.

I had a repossession decades ago, it took me 10 years before anyone will lend a #### thing. It was 30 before I borrowed a dime.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow that's a lot to ask for.

"Giving a percentage to another company" seems to be part of the theme for those who don't get how it works.

If you only have $4k to put up, then maybe you need to find another way to do this, I would think maybe having $30k in the bank would be a good start to show you are serious.

Airborne, IluvCATS, buddyd157 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    A first time buyer is not getting a loan with 4k down on a used truck. Its gonna take 25% and an intent to lease letter from an established carrier to even be considered.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I'm not an O/O. I researched it several times over the years, and spoke to a lot of O/Os.

The recurring theme of those discussions was this:

"If you don't have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up, AFTER paying for your truck, you're not ready."

There's exceptions to everything. I've met very few exceptions to this "rule".

YMMV and good luck, but it sounds like you're setting yourself up for further financial strife.

7. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If you lease to a reputable company with good paying freight, that isn't needed. Money to cover initial start up costs, a good solid maintenance fund, plus a month to cover living expenses will put you in good spot to get started.

IluvCATS, driverdriver and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Try your local credit union. A lot of them do commercial vehicle loans. Way lower interest. Mine didn't bat an eye when I asked for 40k. Didn't even ask for a down payment which made it so I kept my cash for emergencies/repairs/etc.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    6 months money to operate regardless of actual revenue that might take three or more months to pay out provided there are no claims, conflicts, he said she said etc etc etc.

I get sick to my stomach when I think of so many people going to orientation who did not have 20 dollars for food. Much less money for the LP truck they just signed a stack of papers.

I hate to be difficult. I once bought a 94' FLD short roof for about 41000 with a first payment due in three weeks and some odd days with a tank of fuel to get and papers, tags and so forth organizing that first week I took possession.

It was a eye opener for me how much the money seems to spin in something like that to get going, much less keep it going. To be fair there are posts in my past here on TTR that explains the overall situation more fully as this was a facility that teaches company drivers to become O/O over 4 structured years. If you could not success then trucking is not your path forward.

It's a little bit of a regret I suppose. It was a very nice little tractor. Im pretty sure I would have gotten many years out of it. But I view it also that when a door is shut, it's shut.

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That's what I did 3 years ago on my first truck. It was a 2010. I put down 25% and the local community bank gave me 5.5%
    money.

As you said, I brought an intent to lease contract from the carrier I had already been with as a line-haul & office guy for a couple 3 years.

It's not easy, but getting a reasonable interest rate is possible.

driverdriver and spyder7723 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.