PLEASE HELP! Is Werner good for newbie or what about Arrow, CRST or Trans Am?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by maximizelife, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximizelife

maximizelife Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Nebr;>
    I am in Omaha, from here too, want to do the 48/mostly WEST COAST! Werner pays the least from the git go... don't mind starting off slow, but what about starting off with a sweeter $$$ deal like CRST? How about Arrow or Trans Am??? Should I look at service / dispatch / training closer??? Or are they all alike during training / the first six months? Werner 'may' be offering me a new truck to get me on board, is this a recruit tactic or do newbies get these kind of perks?
    Please, any help on these questions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. basscase_2000

basscase_2000 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Are you looking to pull van or flatbed? Theres more work to flatbed, but usually more money in the long run. Van is usually easier, but a little less money. Plenty of loads for both, so that's not really an issue.

Regardless I wouldn't go to Werner, I know they are local but just avoid them, IMHO. They aren't the worst, but are far from the best.

Quickest way to tell you who to avoid, look for the thread" Who's the worst", avoid them all. Then look for "who's the best", and only believe half of those.

4. maximizelife

Dec 26, 2006
    Nebr;>
    I am looking to pull van to start, flatbed too much over what I am soaking up for now. I have no current strings to hold me here, so I will drive many miles in the first year. But after training, hoping to get with Crete, heard alot of good about them, also they are in my area here, Lincoln, Ne. In all honesty looking to get to Cali / home base... any ideas there?
    I have seen the "Best" threads, I agree, dont believe all you read!

5. basscase_2000

basscase_2000 Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Well arrow only pulls flatbed now. Crete wouldn't be bad, or Roehl, Lot's of van haulers here, just wait till evening when they all get dinner and are ready for a night of chat. lol.

6. maximizelife

Dec 26, 2006
    Nebr;>
    Thanks for the advice, will look forward to evening chatters.

7. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    a "typical" recruiter ploy is to say something like "new trucks are arriving daily", or "you could be in a new truck when your training is done", or, "we have so many new trucks, its unbelieveable"

fact is, you may get a new truck, but it could be all banged up from a previous student driver. or you could get into a new(er) truck when you get to be on your own. or you could get a new truck after at least one year of driving.

never, ever fall victim to the "we have new trucks" from any recruiter....

if you do, then may i offer you the keys to a shiny new 2007 corvette........?????

your chances of me giving you that shiny new corvette are as far from real as any "new truck" for a new driver with no experience...........got it.....???

just about any company will "entice you" with such claims. look for pay, miles, benefits, home time, time away from home. never ever say that you have "no ties" at your present home. this will make them force you to stay out far too long, causing burn-out. then too, i have personally witnessed someone whom i went to school with make such a claim that he "had no ties" at home, and sure enough, after about 1 month, he "went home" with his tail between his legs like a beaten dog. the life on the road isn't an easy one, this you will learn way too soon enough.

take your time off, get out of the truck, walk away, don't look at it or think about that truck till you have to go back to work again.

all "first time" trucking companies will pay a low wage to you, over a more years experienced driver like me. if they were to offer me ( a now 19 year driving veteran) a measly 30¢ per mile, i'd find it so easy for me to go tell them to go "pound sand"..............

just decide (for now) which company can get you home often, and thier extended training program, and miles/pay. do your time for "about" 6 months to 1 year, then you too can have the pleasure of telling some flunky recruiter to "go pound sand, i got experience now"..............

Azeron Thanks this.
  8. maximizelife

Dec 26, 2006
    Nebr;>
    Thanks Pro1, what you said makes alot of sense. I am a 15 yr exper. & seasoned Las Vegas cab driver, been around the Vette lot a few times for promises of great things. What you said about home time, I have little ties to any one place for now. Looking forward to the experience. Looking to go with Crete after 5-6 mos. with whichever 1st co. I go with. Werner is convenient for now, but Roehl??? How about Barr Nunn?

9. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    check the boards for reports on Barr-Nun or Rohel, there are many. you needn't start a new thread about either.

10. popcorn

popcorn Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2011
    conyers,ga
    Werner is only a stepping stone . I currently work there. Looking for new company pay will never go above 30cpm. Have'nt herd anything good about crst or trans am. Have been conversing with jb hunt yea recruiters will say pretty much what you want to hear keep them hanging for a couple of days asking all the qa you can . And make them put it in stone. Dont go to a new company half/####ed.

123456 Thanks this.
  11. nd-newbie

nd-newbie Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Minot ND
    Werner is good for a first job. Don't plan on staying there more than a year or two, though. After your two years are up, then other firms will offer you more cpm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.