Please help me clarify this ICOA contract.. can I move this vehicle to another carrier??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shutupandkeeptruckin, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Shutupandkeeptruckin

Shutupandkeeptruckin Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2019
    Pleased read this section of this contract... does it state I can move the truck with consent or some type of approval?? Please any advice is appreciated..

Best regards sir

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Its seems you have to buy the equiptment outright before you leave the contract. Otherwise it stays right where it is and you go away in default.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get a lawyer and get out of the lease, it is a bad thing.

5. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Yes you can move the truck as long as you meet all the requirements in that section or you will be in default. Of course it also says that it’s up to the lease company to decide if the trucking company you’re going to meets their requirements. The new carrier must have an excellent safety rating of 85% or higher. The tricky part is finding a carrier willing to make your payments directly to the lease company electronically. Most carriers are not going to want to get involved in that. Your truck payments are your problems, not your carrier. It’s kind of insulting if you ask me. They’re basically saying that they don’t trust you to make your payments yourself. They think you’re a little idiot that must have your hand held by someone more responsible than you making your payments for you. It’s the equivalent of your mother putting mittens on you and pinning a note to your coat when she sends you to the market for bread and eggs. My advice is just to stay with the original carrier until you complete your lease purchase agreement. If you have so little confidence in this carrier that you’re already thinking about the possibility of leaving them before you even started then don’t bother. Find a carrier that instills confidence in you and go with that one. If there’s one thing I’ve learned after 20 years in this business is that the grass is rarely greener on the other side.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    feldsforever Thanks this.
  6. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Actually that’s not what it says. Purchasing the equipment out right is the first option. The second option is to meet all the requirements in the four following paragraphs. He must also pay a $500 fee for this privilege. It seems like you stopped reading after the first paragraph.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I read nothing on this page they would indicate it’s a “bad deal”. I don’t like having to get their permission to go to another trucking company or the fact that the trucking company must agree to make my payments directly to the lease company each week electronically on my behalf. It might be a bad deal but you can’t tell from this page. We would have to know the value of the truck and the total of the lease payments to see if it’s really a bad deal. I also see nothing on this page that would indicate he would need a lawyer to get out of it. The vast majority of these hand hold lease purchase contracts are walk away leases.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    First part I read was that company also has to be in the same city. Birmingham.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No you do not get to tell me where or what I did or did not read.

I see the OP asked one simple question.

"Can I take this truck elsewhere?"

As soon I reached that particular part of the contract that allows him to take the truck elsewhere provided he buys it outright.

The rest of the contract consists of several paragraphs that I will leave it to others to debate. My goal is over simple on this forum, find a question and see if there is a provision to move that truck elsewhere.

I read everything sir. Most of it is heavy weather boilerplate in favor of the existing company that has the truck with several options dictated by them. OP has nothing really. Except the ability to walk away leaving the truck behind.

10. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I will tell you. You are 100% wrong. Those 4 paragraphs that you refer to as boiler plate are extremely important to the OP. They dictate the details necessary to take the truck to another carrier. There is nothing to debate. The paragraphs are written in plain English easy to understand. So even if those paragraphs are heavily in favor of the leasing company they still are an option for the OP to use. So you are 100% incorrect to say that he only has the choice of paying the truck off before moving to another carrier.

Shutupandkeeptruckin Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't really care what you think this is a bad deal and it dictates terms that are out of the norm. Having a carrier involved with payments or ensuring the safety rating meets the requirements of the contract seems to limit the ability to use the truck outside of that company.

The lease holder is the responsible party, not the carrier.

The safety rating is a joke because that's what insurance is there for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.