Please help!!! Usa truck or prime inc.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by scorpiorias, Jan 6, 2010.

1. scorpiorias

scorpiorias Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am about to wake up someones butt right now...Thanks for the tip.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working for a Living

Working for a Living Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Well I hope i can shed some light on this. First of all i must disclose that i do work for prime. Now 1 thing i will say upfront is that in NO WAY do i "tow the line for them or anyone else. I have worked for a total of 3 companies over the last 14 years (the other major CDL Mill was Stevens, and dont even get me started about them) scorpiorias Two things that turned you off to prime was the long training time requirements and the pressure to lease. The reason these CDL Mills have such a bad reputation is the LACK OF TRAINING! I for one find it appaulling that at certain companies (Prime not being one of them that as a driver with 6 mounths of experiance can become a trainer. Lets say that said driver finishes his or her 3 week training time in April, Then drives for 6 months then in November becomes a "Certified Trainer", The question is How can that driver who has never drove in the winter, Teach another how to drive in the winter? Or how bout Some of the other companies (NOT Prime, And im not sure about USA) who throw 2 students into a truck together (Or as I call "Dumb and Dumber") For 4-6 weeks?
    The bottom line is this, when You are starting something like this you have to ask yourself 1 question Do i want the expresslane or should i take the long way and learn as much as possible.

2nd item was the pressure to lease. I will tell you like i tell anybody else that ask me, 1st is NOBODY and I mean NO ONE with 0 years driving should sign a lease. Dont let them pressure you into it. Prime has alot of company trucks. Go be a comapny driver for a year or 2. get some experiance and learn more about the industry. I am a lease driver with them and this is my 3rd lease, but it works for me. It isnt good for everybody.

Donnyh Thanks this.
  4. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    I dont know where this pressure to lease everyone mentions is coming from.

For me, and a couple others I went through training with, all we got was "are you interested in leasing a truck?" Simple answer from me was "not at this time"

Officially I was asked this question once by my training FM so he could notify the truck office on what to expect from me when I showed up to grab my company truck.

Un-officially I was asked this numerous times by other drivers who had no bearing on the decision. As I learned with varying results. Some wanted to tell me what a mistake it was, and others wanted to tell me how great it was.

Currently, out on the road, it seems to be the number one FIRST question between Prime drivers. Are you company or lease? Then it goes from there... complaints or bragging... the two things you hear from EVERY
    trucker out there, regardless of company.

5. foodmojo

foodmojo Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    chesapeake Virginia
    Moderated for Insult These are usually the guys the dispacther hates:yes2557:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  6. foodmojo

Nov 29, 2009
    chesapeake Virginia
    wow, Moderated for Insult

7. foodmojo

Nov 29, 2009
    chesapeake Virginia
    Kinda sounds like you want him to fail, then misery can have his company.:yes2557:, Moderated for Insult

8. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    From the research I was doing it is a toss-up. I may lean more toward Prime, I just have a better feeling for them. Neither are in my top 3 list due to my situation not theirs. I wish you luck.

9. foodmojo

Nov 29, 2009
    chesapeake Virginia
    But from a practical stand point, we (newbies) need to realise that it really does'nt matter who you start with because the operational flaws of the Company we decide on is irrellavent, it's all about getting experience that we would not get a chance to gain if it were not for these Companies. They need us because of their break even point (paying low) and we need them to get experience. So it's all really mute, does'nt matter really who you choose brcause it will even itself out anyway over time. I personaly think all these nick picking of issues on deciding who to choose and start with is based on each newbie drivers personal financial and home responsibilities, all of which are issues that have nothing to do with the Companies that are going to intrust their equip. to us and give us a chance. So i say give them a break, get the experience you'll need and after a couple of years and more experiences you can make a better, well thought out decision envolving your future in trucking and family. And if your (the newbie driver) bottom line is going to be to close for comfort then maybe this is just not a good time to start for you, look in another direction, trucking is not going to be a recieved hail mary pass reception that will save your checkbook, especially in the beginning. :yes2557:You know the saying........there can't be growth without pain.

10. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Picking the wrong company can and often WILL end your "career" in a heartbeat !!!!

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You need to rethink your strategy. Thoughts along that line often determine how long you stay in this field.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.