please hepl czech republic detroit 60 ddec3

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Radek Czech republic, May 17, 2019.

1. Radek Czech republic

Radek Czech republic Bobtail Member

May 17, 2019
    Hello, I'm in the end.
    I write to you from the Czech Republic. In 1998, 35 pieces of detroit diesel series 60 DDEC 3 were fitted to our skoda xena tractors.
    in the Czech Republic these engines do not know much, just that they are very durable.
    I have a complete wiring diagram for my tractor. I have three control units I can toss. Unfortunately, I still have a problem with error code 54, I know it's a speed sensor failure. I measured all the wires, I got a new speed sensor. The error usually occurs when the motor is heavier, but it is not a rule. I can measure pulses at the base of the control unit. Impulses go there. Sometimes an error occurs after an hour of driving. Sometimes it appears just after a heavy load. The worst thing is that even if the wire that gives the control unit the pulse pulse I disconnect completely, the tractor can poison the hour and the error just does not appear and sometimes yes.
    Also, it does not matter which control unit I just install, behave the same.
    My question is: how does the control unit know that it doesn't have the right speed information ??? I've already tried all the disconnect and connectivity options I've measured. And as it happens, the situation is that the wire with the pulse is not connected at all and error 54 does not ever appear.
    Thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Radek CZ

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I may be not understanding: The sensor wire might have a break under the insulation. Hook up a test light and wiggle it to see if it loses continuity.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I may not totally understand you. Does it not have two sensors on the left front of the engine on different gears? Both were replaced?
    If you have changed everything electrical, even the harnesses, and the problem stays with the truck maybe it is not electrical.
    I had a problem with a 14 L gear train that did something like that.
    If that is the case others on here know much more about them than I.
    Try to keep your questions short direct and clear. I understand you are using a second language.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All I know is there’s 2 speed sensors on my Truck. One on bottom, another on top.

6. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    On the 14L there is a gear set in the front. Two gears on a common shaft with a dowel pin between them. When that dowel is damaged it can allow the two gears to change position a bit. They most often change on start up or when you shut it off. It also would change some times while driving.
    I do not thank the small difference in timing would have been a big problem. However the computer trying to compensate for the sensor readings that did not correspond caused a lot of problems.
    If you send it to the wrong two shops you can figure that out for about $25,000 and no truck for seven weeks. Sounds a little bit like the hole in the DPF deal today.
    So always ask. Will that fix it? Probably still end up with: Well do you want you truck back or not in the end.

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    1998 has to be either the last of 11.1 or a 12.7. No 14 L in 1998

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. Radek Czech republic

May 17, 2019
    Na převodovce u kardanu mám snímač rychlosti. Na motoru jsou dva snímače otáček motoru. Převodovka však není elektronicky připojena k motoru. Převodovka je mechanická. Proto nechápu, jak je možné, že když odpojím senzor úplně, auto někdy nepíše žádnou chybu a někdy ano.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    So you have your problem figured out? What was the problem?

10. Radek Czech republic

May 17, 2019
    The problem is the same. error 54 lights up after a longer driving time but I do not understand when I disconnect the sensor completely for the test. The tractor wouldn't know it for half an hour while driving. Then it is, but the situation that I have everything involved and immediately throws out the error 54.

How does the control unit evaluate that it does not have the correct pulses from the sensor ???

11. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    After looking at code 54 that is vehicle speed not engine.
    I know nothing about your truck. What transmission is in it?
    Had a problem with a Fuller once. The driveshaft yoke was a little loose. The tone wheel for the sensor could be turned with a screw driver, through the sensor hole. Everything looked fine. Tightened the yoke and no more problem.
    Many vehicles have two sensors on the back of the transmission also.
    I do not know the answer to your question but maybe someone else can be more helpful.
    Can we get a picture of your tractor?

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.