Please I need information on leasing my truck to a company

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by travelgal456, Aug 10, 2012.

1. travelgal456

travelgal456 Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Please I have some questions and I will appreciate any help. Thank you.

I do not know anything about the trucking industry. I am just beginning my research and I found this website. I have some money I will like to invest and I am thinking of buying a truck and leasing to a company. I just want to lease the truck to a company and leasing company will pay me an agreed upon amount monthly. I will have nothing to do with driving the truck or hiring a driver to drive the truck. Is that possible? Are there companies that will lease trucks from me? Do you know how much I get paid monthly?

I am not looking to make millions of dollars. I already have a great job and I just want additional income stream. I will be buying the truck in cash.

Thanks for your help in advance. I am sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes there are trucking companies who do that. The settlement checks would come to you and you'd pay the driver what you agreed to less any advances drawn. You would probably be wise to look for a driver near you. You want to see the truck from time to time to see how it's being maintained and treated. Once you decide who offers the best lease agreement to suit your needs, then you could run an ad in the local paper getting potential driver candidates. Any driver would have to meet with the companies requirements and it would be on the trucking company to run their required background checks and so forth and provide/deny approval.

I recommend someone who you feel good about. Someone who seems to be in good health. They'll (driver candidates) ask if you're going to offer any sort health insurance benefit ... you may or may not be able to provide this via the carrier's plan.

But unless you find some sort of really sweet deal (they are out there), don't expect do much more than break even after paying the driver a decent wage. The ideal situation as a truck owner who hopes to pocket a little money is to find a husband/wife team and a carrier who runs mostly coast to coast lanes. But quality husband/wife teams who are looking for a change are hard to find and most are in their own truck. And putting together a team from nearby your location is harder. A lot depends on where ypu are situated and if you are on a major trucking lane and preferably near a major population center.

Look for a carrier who will provide in-house breakdown/tire repair assistance so you're not dealing with phone calls while you're trying to enjoy a nice dinner out. They'll arrange payment and deduct from the settlement or escrow account. Their are a number of insurance requirements you'll have to deal with, some secured through the carrier are good, some are a rip-off.

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    If you are wanting to get a good return on rolling stock, I would recommend buy a railroad car instead.

wis bang and roshea Thank this.
  5. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wouldnt invest in trucking, ESPECIALLY when you dont know anything about it.

6. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    This is my opinion as well, do you know what kind of driver will be driving the truck?, Repairs are yours

7. nyora

nyora Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Please advise on how to go about buying rail road car. Is there a website you can recommend so one could find out about the income return etc? Thank you.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  8. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

i wouldnt advise buying a truck without being able to drive it myself....what about if you are between drivers and cant find someone to drive?? just gonna have the truck sit there ? losing money ? there is no way i would advise buying a truck with no knowledge of trucking.....

Rocks Thanks this.
  9. north cakalacki

north cakalacki Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Louisville KY
    The answer is no. The company pays you to drive,hire,or both. They can buy thier own trucks to do what you want to do

10. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Buy land and lease to local farmer to farm. Stress free

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  11. theokessebeh

theokessebeh Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.