Please support the "Homeowners Wireless Freedom Act of 2018"

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by russbrill, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Just don't sign that particular piece of paper when you buy the house. :laughing6:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It's part of the deed and covenant. You want the home, you have to sign the deed.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The restrictions you are describing are discriminatory and illegal now. No such language could legally be included in HOA rules.

Once again, I want everybody here to understand I hate HOA's. That's why I have avoided them for decades. Having said that, I have no problem with people joining an HOA if that's what they choose

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It isn't the discrimination based on race or religion but finances.

They are disguised as qualifications to fulfill financial obligations that the HOA creates, and this restricts people based on their financial situation, which is also illegal but practiced.

If I can afford the house but then the upkeep, HOA fees and so on are considered as part of the qualifications and it appears I can not afford those other obligations, then I can be blocked from that purchasing of that property.

This seems to be an extension of the Apartment transfer practices in Detroit, Chicago and NYC where they can use finances as a reason for blocking the transfer of an apartment (this is not a rental but ownership of that apartment).

Case in point, I worked with a girl who was purchasing a house on the edge of a golf course. She qualified for the loan, had it in hand when she made the offer on the house, but then she had to apply to purchase that house through the HOA and it was voted on in order for the purchase to be made. She also had to turn over her financial records including her bills as part of the application, which she did but it was turned down. She tried to sue the HOA to allow her to purchase but the court wouldn't allow it because it is part of the covenant from the original deeded owners and in the bylaws of the HOA.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    NYC co-ops are the same way, if you are not in the cool kids club you cannot purchase or even live in their high rise.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  7. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Oh brother. If you can't afford to live in a given neighborhood it's discrimination lol.

Now I've heard everything

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I didn't say can't afford the house but the required fees and upkeep which have zero to do with actual owning the house itself.

I pay for my garbage to be picked up, we have a group rate negotiated for the houses on this street, but if I decide not to pay for the garbage, then I don't have to and no one is going to foreclose on my home. This isn't the same as being in an hos.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  9. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Ill say this the nicest way I can think of: some people dont want travel trailers and/or junk cars and/or CMVs etc parked next door. Nor do they want to look at hideous add-ons to the neighboring homes. These types of things can bring down property values. If a person is willing to pay 2 or 3 hundred more dollars a month to keep out the riff-raff, more power to them.

Again (for the 2nd or 3rd time), I happen to despise HOAs but I respect the rights of folks to pay extra to have the HOA protect property values

10. russbrill

russbrill Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2017

Actually, there's no hard proof that HOA's keep property values from declining.. There's getting to be some evidence that buyers are starting to say no to the HOA scam, therefore, homes in HOA's are taking longer to sell...

Blaskowitz, MACK E-6 and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I bought a condo in a complex with HOA. The fees were $92 bucks a month at first after just a few years they were over $300 a month for the HOA fees. Then they started tweaking the HOA with amendments and would have monthly meetings where the same 5 people would attend but would vote binding changes into the HOA that the rest of the 2000 people living there had to abide by. The biggest one I hated was that only so many condos could be rented out; the homeowner must live in the condo. I'm sorry, that was an investment property for me, the purpose of which was to rent it out and have steady income from it. I cashed all the equity out of the condo and rented it out anyway, my wife and I forgot to call the insurance agent to add it to our homeowners insurance and one day 22 houses and 17 condos burned down including mine. I let the bank have it back and the HOA had to eat several months worth of accumulated HOA fees on my unit that I refused to pay. In the end I was protected by the state of California and the bank took over a $100,000 hit on the unit (the difference in what I owed and what they were able to sell it for in 2009 during the height of the Great Recession in Stockton California, the ground zero #1 foreclosure capital of America at the time.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.