PMTG - new to the company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MrsSkidmarks, Nov 15, 2007.

1. bullseye1975

bullseye1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    westville,new jersey
    stay away far far far away. there equiptment is junk, they lie about the pay. you still hafta wait around for loads. good luck if you still want to go. but i just hope you have a big savings account because you will go broke trying to work with these jokers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scorpiorias

scorpiorias Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    On point, couldnt have said it better

4. scorpiorias

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    You couldn't have said it any better. However; for a car hauling newbie, not a bad place to start. Its a dog eat dog world out here. The persons building you load do so preferentially and those are the ones making 70 to 150k per year. Not going to name names but they aren't kidding when they say drivers make that much. Like everything in life, you have to figure out the system to successfully play along. You wont believe how many times I told them my life story. The squickiest wheel gets the grease. I thought about quitting numerous times when i first started. got frustrated with sitting at shops. got tired of complaining and writing up my equipment which is very well on the verge of falling apart on the roadway. One of there mechanics told me the equipment I have was so junked that i would be dreaming hoping to work out all the bugs. He told me to keep the wheels rolling when ever possible. Waiting to be shut down by dot. Besides, they wont send you to the shop unless you are broke down on the side of the road anyway. Yes that's the credo here, "you aint broke down if you aint sitting by the side of the road". Got to make that money while u can. Being a great hustler is simply not enough, your dispatcher have to be in love with you, terminal manager got want to bone you (infact I walk into them doors backwards, to make it easy on for them I pack some lube cos they will dlck you anyway), you need luck, a whole lot of complex sense and prayer. Dog days are never over at PMTG. My advise will be to compare what you doing now to the worst car hauler out there, and if you cant walk away with at least the experience to set you up for a better company........On a positive note, The money is there but you got to be ready to work the system. It gets better with time, give it a couple of years.

5. TooTall in the Seat

TooTall in the Seat Bobtail Member

May 18, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Entered in Error. Sorry!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. new car hauler

new car hauler Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I got to meet the entire main office today which I have never had a company do. I am going to give it a try. They seem nice and the truck that I am going to take had a lot of work done. We'll see. They need the drivers bad because the companies have all gone back to them. They need to fill 50 trucks. Maybe they are tring to do better maybe not everyone had it negative with them. I have only talked to 1 driver so far and he is the first driver the company ever had. He said in the NE Region I should do good. Once again Worth a shot and we'll see.

7. bullseye1975

bullseye1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    westville,new jersey
    good luck. all the trucks have had a ton of work done on them. ask yourself why??? i worked in the N.E. section and made on a good week when the truck wasn't in the shop $500 have fun. stay in touch.

8. scorpiorias

Oct 25, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    PMTG and its management never seizes to amaze me.

This is a company running at full capacity around this time last year, every single truck was occupied that they had to pull trucks that have been sitting in corn fields for years back into the road. But still at that, they failed to meet the targets as mandated by their customers; primarily Mercedes. Equipment is too old, less productive and falling apart. On top of that, PMTG got greedy, went picking up more work from low paying Nissan, Subaru and ford out of Dundalk, MD...from the same ports Mercedes come in from and delivering in the same area. The new pickups started to interfere with their bread and butter customer...Mercedes and BMW as PMTG couldn't move one without leaving the other behind. As a result PMTG lost some good contracts, lost Mercedes work at North Bergen, NJ, and i believe Belcamp, MD too; lost the North east Operation to Diversified. The dumbest thing they ever did was to pickup more Subaru out of Lafayette, Indiana. it use to be that cars allocated to PMTG suppose to put drivers back into the pocket...back-haul they called it. But now, they are running as far as the North Carolina coastal end and northern PA of which by the time u deadhead back to Baltimore, u have lost another day to a crap load. They did Cassens a big favor. Funny enough, they are calling in other carriers.

And earlier, they lost the BMW work in Greer; SC...by now, all the southern guys were all quitting if not gone already. The work was just more than they could handle, several carriers were called in including united Road their arch nemesis whom parent company tried to buy them out when they were in finance gridlock with the banks. Then Corinthian capital saved their day. Corinthians stood beside them and pressured the bank for the cash of which i believe, the contracts and constitution of the company had to be rewritten to include, protect and insure Corinthians and the bank. Now Corinthian is seating at the BOD with no dog in the fight http://www.corinthiancap.com/ourrole.html , presumably, no physical capital what so ever was invested into PMTG as they imply on their website but maintains a prominent seat as a decision maker in the company. And this is how it works, before PMTG makes any business decision, they have to run it by Corinthian to get the go ahead clearance....Corinthians sit on the side line with an eye, an arm and a leg at the revenue of which if any decline or unexpected ab-normalcy emerges, they might move in and liquidated the company to secure the funds from the bank and protect their reputation. Remember, at this point, a good business strategist would probably assume Corinthians has got to be allied with if not actually indirectly own the bank because there is so much money to be made. Besides, business protection of this magnitude is next to divine...whats in for me? So, Corinthians are collecting from PMTG, they banks are being paid and the interest keep piling up...do you think it is in the best interest of Corinthians to put a kabash on this cycle???? The banks are happy, they are happy, they are proxy part owners of the company, sitting at the BOD...what part of this don't u understand drivers. If the banks are paid up, Corinthians will have to board the train...and why would the let that happen???The slashed rates aren't just only because the customers aren't paying the enclosed carrier rates anymore, THE BEAST HAS GOT TO BE FED.

While this company doesn't parallel Enron, it constantly reminds me of it. at least, 80 percent of their work is on the east coast I-95 corridor, in-fact, one of them in the administration once told me they wouldn't even loose a dime if they didn't do the west runs. And yet, the two indigenous shops the company have are in the Midwest and within 112 miles of each other. Drivers breaking down all the time, the tow truck company and vendor making money, driver sitting twirling with their fingers. You show up at their shop to fix whatever is wrong with the truck, they get mad...you have to be planed in...guess what, when am sitting at the scales shut down for that trlr abs, tell dot exactly that. You break down on a Friday evening, God help u cos u might be sitting until Monday morning after the 11 o'clock meeting to hear from anyone. They say the company started as a Midwestern company back in 1992, that's why their facilities are located the way they are. And that convinces me that the company has no intent to stay long...they rather adapt than evolve with the game. I will be ###### if the administrators aren't suffering from myopia....short term strategy.....ENRON again!

The preferential treatment is so highly concentrated, how could a group of honest hard working drivers be making around 40k and a second group is making 60 and a third is making 100k and up? The opportunity here is so skewed, they lie to u even there in ur face at orientation, from the equipment they give u to the load u get...it never a level playing field, u device a strategy to position in the right spots to pickup certain loads, the reshuffle on u even when they have nothing to loose. Their driver are classified into three categories, the infantry, the Calvary and the blue Angels. The infantry guys are with the cab-overs 8 packs, running up and down that i95 ranges from Maine to NC, getting paid ###### rates while company makes a killing on those runs, the Calvary run out west, includes just the 9car Sterling and a select group of the 8packs. the blue angels run in that Mercedes blue and metallic Grey color western stars they have on their website, it also includes the day-cabs, they are the ones making the killing. spoke to one of the day-cab guys who threatened to quit the company because he got a load of beemers to Pittsburgh....he got 10 cars, paid a little over 400 bucks and he was ########. then they apologized and gave him a Sioux Fall load. I laughed, Its funny around here, some drivers are spoiled. I speak to several driver every opportunity i get about these things...being as friendly as i am, they will often confide in me they've made plans to leave, as a matter of fact, one of my good friend is finalizing his quit, using his home-time and sick-leave to buy time to do employment prerequisite his state dot he will be working for requires and this is just a seasonal job. I asked him, why don't u put in ur two weeks notice, then he told me about a dispatcher that the left the company and how they did him when he informed the company he was leaving. He has no plans of coming back. Helped a rookie load-up in Lafayette one time, he was in what they call a pan truck which is the kinda truck most news guys start out with...a pain in the neck to load them Subaru in. everything has to fit like a glove or u will have some problems...the stupid lazy mike and chris who built his load didn't come out to help the guy, they sat in the office #### chatting. i helped the dude, then he told me they have been running him reasonably well because he wrote a 6 page letter to the company vice-president after he quit and they called him back, took him out for a launch and things changed. I told him to be ready to write that letter several more times, things don't stay nice and dandy for a newbie for too long at pmtg. they want u to stay and they will give u good loads to make u stay, then they stick it to u. One of the ladies in the company confided in me months before she left-the same home time strategy, showed up with her car in the truck, dropped off the truck and left, she didn't trust the company. As for me, my leaving was not a secrete. And quite frankly, they should be glad i left. You start to become a pain in the neck for ur self and everybody around u when you have over stayed ur duration. The bottom line is this, people don't have to quit like this, as a matter of fact, people quit without notice at bad companies, no rational person wants to burn down bridges if its worth passing again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    bullseye1975 Thanks this.
  9. tcanning

tcanning Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I live in NewEngland and know how you feel about parking your rig.I live in town so I went and talked to a local oil dealer who had some land out back and he allows me to park my rig there and I pay him only 25.00 a month. He plows the yard and now there are a few others parking there as well. Hope you find something I know it can be stessful. Be safe and Merry Christmas

10. new car hauler

new car hauler Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I've been driving for them since september. They tell you up front the trucks will go down. My truck is getting a new tranny this week. But I have made money even when I was down . not sure yet how this week is going to go because I told them I would go home. I'll know tomorrow. I have managed 1,000-1,300 every week after the first couple weeks. Had to get into the swing yah know. It's ok truck runs good most of the time the first new round of trucks coming this year are 10 car open.. NO more enclosed. The company is trying to turn things around.. We'll see so far is ok.

11. AirForce Vet

AirForce Vet Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.