Point me in the right direction - Owning a Truck for Show?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Truemac, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I wasn't entirely sure where to post this so please hear me out...

I've been driving for about 4 years now, the last 2 with my current company. I've put a lot of long and hard thought into the idea and process of buying and running my own truck for even longer than that. I've read and stocked a lot of good information from this forum on what it takes to be successful and how easy it is to not. I keep waffling between going gung-ho into making a shot at it and deciding it isn't worth the added headache.
    I came to the realization recently that I may be going about this the wrong way: I asked myself why I wanted to be an owner/operator so bad, and the #1 answer I came back with was that I wanted to drive a cool truck. I've always loved those old classic long hood Pete's and KW's rolling down the highway, and imagining myself at the wheel of one of those rigs was partially what inspired me to pursue my CDL.

It didn't take me long in this industry to learn that the perfect trucking company doesn't exist, and that I'd have to learn to make sacrifices on my list of what I valued in a trucking company. My current employer gives me a very flexible schedule with a lot of dedicated routes, great pay, and office staff that I can work with and let me perform my job without too much micromanagement. I'm not too keen on giving up that stability just to be able to call my own shots from the seat of my own Largecar. Long story short, I realized I want to become an Owner/Operator because of emotional attachment to the truck - which, from many posts I've read here, is one of the biggest things you SHOULDN'T do running a truck as a business. I also worry that the stress from the requirement to keep these older trucks running to bring income to my house would take the fun out of owning one very fast for me personally.

So now I'm putting out feelers for a different outlet - owning an older semi truck as a hobby/show truck. Now I understand this forum is mainly for Owner/Operators who run their trucks as a commercial business, so my inquiry isn't exactly in line with that. I mainly want to know how feasible this would be as somebody who is also a company driver, and if there are any websites/forums that would be better equipped to give me info on this endeavour? I've already looked into ATHS, I was just curious if there were other options I may have missed. My google-## is failing me on that regard...

Thanks for any replies.

gentleroger and gokiddogo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had enough land at one time to seriously consider a Texas Style Garage, a strong metal building construct on it to store a particular bobtail I had in mind both as a memorial to truckers and to roll to the occasional show where possible. It would need to be somewhat large enough to take a man pit under there because without computers on it, it's a certain amount of work. Not to mention calling the recycling fluid company now and then to empty the small side tank that was planned for it. I had a particular 359 and one very particular Superliner500 mack which I think had that V8 engine format with it which we probably still have on the farm. But one way or the other there would be at least one in that garage.

Fast forward to now. Those plans did not come to fruition in my lifetime and I have made my peace with it. I think the taxes and insurance on maintaining a full 3 axle bobtail and a operation dumptruck would be pretty stiff considering the income i am on now. Usually in America if you don't make enough, go out and find work that you like which allowed you to make more. I have too many issues in life as a medical patient to do the things I like because I am unhireable due to medicines.

That does not mean it's the end of the world I hope someday to still find a 359, 500 or even a T2000 believe it or not from the 90's era. One of the first made with the red engine in it. (Supposedly the 600 cummins but will have to checkup on it. That particular combination with the 13 speed was with us for a very short time. We remember as a married team the quality of sleep in it. The rig itself would eventually introduce other issues which required remodeling into other lines by KW. That 13 will be pretty hard to find on it though, being a underdrive. Not too many people put that one on trucks.

Anyway, there is a small candle I keep in a box of sorts that is still lit somewhere in my mind. All I can say is who knows? It's possible. I suppose it will be a adventure taking the bobtail to shows, maybe even better if there was a working load to get it there then dropped trailer. If it never happens? That's ok. Ive done the actual trucking and remember those old trucks doing what I ask of then now and then. Sometimes with a little bit of sassy and bounce back. Spill my coffee. One of the few ways you can ruin my day =)

Slowmover1 and Truemac Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's what I'm currently doing. I wrench for a dealer but I'm building a singled out W900A to play with and tote an RV trailer around with.

spsauerland, Cat sdp and Truemac Thank this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    It's an expensive hobby, but then again classic cars aren't cheap either.

Cat sdp and Truemac Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I want to do it someday. When I have my own shop big enough to tinker at my own pace. Find an old 359, strip it down all the way to frame rails, completely restore / rebuild everything. Why not? Maybe drive it for my summer run, which is very local and home daily.

Right now I drive this one. I'd like to get another one once this one's paid. A longer one with shorter sleeper. Drive this one in winter and new one from July to October or so. 20190318_222605.jpg

Dino soar, Truemac and Cat sdp Thank this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Sounds like a fabulous idea, expensive, maybe, but not NEAR as expensive as going broke running it over the road.

I have NO IDEA if you can make a little money with a show truck, maybe pulling floats in the 4th of July parade, dealer promotional days, that sort of thing? There has to be gigs for show trucks out there that pay a few bucks for having a "awesome classic" truck to pull whatever company equipment someone wants to show off?

Truemac Thanks this.
  8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    NCM_0119.JPG Doing the same with an 82 KW W900A to pull a 5th wheel camper. I was able to change vehicle classification to RV so plates are $32.00 a year here in Indiana. Haven't fully figured out insurance yet when on road, but was able to cover it very cheaply while I restore it(which is a very slow process)! I am lucky enough to have access to the Kenworth parts system, a heated shop @ home, and tools. I work full-time as a diesel technician so will do all mechanical work myself. What years are you thinking?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  9. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I can understand that feeling. I would love to find an old truck that I learned to drive in. It was a single bed, flat top, Schreiber orange Century, it had one driver and I was the second. It was clean, everything worked. I loved driving that thing. I put so many miles hauling glass. I'd love to find one for the nostalgia

Truemac Thanks this.
  10. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you for the replies, everyone. It's encouraging to hear that it doesn't have to be a pipe dream. I especially like the comparison of it being a bigger classic car.

@spsauerland to answer your question, I feel like I'd be comfortable finding something in the early to mid 80's. There are still a large number of trucks from this era that are alive and well. I'd feel comfortable finding something that I felt I could keep functioning.
    Though, I'd be willing to go earlier for a needlenose Peterbilt, like the one from the Duel movie. That one has a soft spot in my heart.

I figure I'll continue to pinch my pennies and brush up on my mechanics skills. Even if I purchased a freshly restored model, I feel it's necessary to know how to turn a wrench on something this old. Insurance and Plates is something that I will also need to research.
    Thank you again, I appreciate everyone's replies. I've looked into the O/O gig deep enough to know I probably wouldn't be happy with it, so knowing there are other paths into the seat of "my dream rig" is encouraging.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I wouldn't buy a fresh restoration. Look at what they're asking. I've seen a few restored W900A's and 359 Petes where the owners wanted 6 figures for them. I'll have half, maybe less than that into my W900A by the time it hits the road and its a complete ground up rebuild.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.