Points removal from MI of Canadian CDL

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Tkkrnurse99, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Tkkrnurse99

Tkkrnurse99 Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2022
    Ticket for speeding 65/55 with 2 points attached in Michigan. I am CDL from Canada without any prior violations for over 8 years and I want to know how to get points removed…thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In the USA states cannot remove points from CDL holders once they are issued. In the past, you could attend a driver safety course and pay a fine and cost of school and keep the points from going on your record. That is no longer the case for US CDL holders. I don't know what Canada allows for commercial drivers. There are Canadians on the forum, maybe they know.

Tkkrnurse99 and aussiejosh Thank this.
  4. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    When did you get the ticket? Have you paid the fine already?

5. Tkkrnurse99

Tkkrnurse99 Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2022
    In Michigan and when I called them they did say that I can appeal it to reduce points but pay the fine…but I can’t seem to get to do this online…

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can't do it online, gotta call court and set up a hearing. When you show up they will ask what are you here for. You just say that you don't want points on your license and they change it to a "non moving violation", which carries a higher fine, but no points.
    Or you can talk to a lawyer and he will do everything, there is no even need for you to show up.
    I have used lawyer Irina few times, but she only services Metro Detroit area

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2022
    Reason for edit: Phone number removed
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Not the case for Michigan

Tkkrnurse99 Thanks this.
  8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    I wish Ontario assigned points on all speeding tickets.. majority of drivers know they can get the points eliminated on most speeding tickets so they don’t respect speed zones at all.. it’s flat to the floor on limiter at all times ..

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's the case for every state in the US, is it's a FMCSA regulation.
    It's called anti-masking.

Here's the caveat though. It only applies to convictions. So if he currently has points, (I.E. he just paid the fine or was found guilty) it cannot be changed. If he hasn't yet, which may be the case here as he wasn't clear if he's paid any fine yet, it can be reduced depending on the mood of the court.

Tkkrnurse99 Thanks this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    When I got a speeding ticket in TN 7 years ago, they told me the same thing as Tscottme. CDL holders can not have their tickets changed to something else.
    Even when I stood in front of the judge, he said he could not help me, even though he sent like 10 people with regular licenses to those safety classes.

However, he suggested for me to wait for state prosecutor (if I remember the title correctly) to arrive, since that is the person who deals with CDL holders.
    When that person arrived I got told the same thing, not possible to change it to a no points violation.

Eventually they completely dismissed the ticket for me, because that was the only way to get rid of the points, saying that they gave me a break because I came from another state and had a few months old CDL.

Tkkrnurse99 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's exactly what I said. Once convicted it cannot be changed. You were never convicted, you managed to get the charges dropped instead. It's fine to plea bargain, but once the conviction is there, it's there with no way to change it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.