Police: Bicyclist struck, killed in Russellville semi accident

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by OldHasBeen, May 23, 2014.

1. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Who said i was going slower?
    In downtown traffic I run faster than any fourwheeler.

But I get your point, its the same as the lil 'ol lady doing 25mph on the interstate, she is more dangerous than the guys running fast, especially when visibility is poor.

Its about common sense, figuring out the traffic speed and mood, and running with it.
    Or away from it. : )

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GSP ATH

GSP ATH Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    Highways of GA
    Bicyclist are dangerous, we see cyclists out right disobey traffic laws, on four lane city streets.

cowboy_tech Thanks this.
  4. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    I think that should read SOME bicyclists are dangerous.

Like SOME fourwheelers.

And SOME truckers : )

5. platinum

platinum Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Anyone ever notice most from Arkansas look like Smegal from lord of the rings? You think i want them driving next to me?

6. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    What is your problem with us who live in Arkansas?

7. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    My most memorable moment with bicyclists was on Highway 36 north of Boulder where the shoulder is less than a foot wide with multiple curves. I learned the only safe way out of the situation was to slow down to 10 mph. After that moment I always thought they got a thrill out of having a couple sets of tandems pass them within inches without getting killed..:wink:

8. 54Trucker

54Trucker Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought the woman in the video was attractive.

9. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The article says a "pedestrian on a bicycle":biggrin_2552: then a witness said the victim rode a three wheeler and the pic shows a grown man on one of those adult tricycles with the wire basket and tall orange safety flag so make your own judgement on the victim's state of development.
    He was free on the streets to trike to his job everyday.

54Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    This bicyclist was in the crosswalk crossing the street. The right hand turn of the truck into the bicyclist on a trike is the most common type of vehicle/bicycle accident according to studies on bicycle safety. The safest place to ride a bike is on the street in the right hand most lane, according to safety studies. The only thing the cyclist can do is to avoid the vehicles that are about to run him over. A driver turning a truck has to be checking mirrors on both sides and traffic, and is either downshifting and braking or upshifting.....so the drivers concentration is divided among several tasks.

I have ridden 25,000 miles by bicycle in a period of 12 years. I choose low volume roads with speed limits under 35 mph, that are a block or two away from the main roads with heavy traffic and truck traffic.

Most drivers are considerate, but some are too considerate. Drivers that have the right of way, but signal me to turn in front of them....not something I want to do. I am planning my direction and speed assuming that the drivers will be following the traffic rules, so just as I am slowing down to stop to give the right of way to a car, that car driver wants me to speed up and turn when I am not prepared to do so....odd situations seem to have a habit of turning into an accident.

And then some drivers are downright ########....once I got shot in the knee by a pellet gun when two boys in a car passed me. Once a car passenger threw their McD trash at my wife and hit her with it. Two cases of intentional assault against a bicyclist. Both times my wife and I were on the tandem bike.

Accidents will happen, and the bicyclist will always lose....so you have to have eyes in the back of your head, and I do with the helmet mounted mirror I wear I can see what is approaching me from the rear. I get so used to being able to see behind me that I miss having the mirror when I am out for a walk! But where I live now we have no sidewalks in most of the town, so I have to walk on the street.

11. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    My younger days of riding a bicycle were in the 50's & 60's in rural American with two lane highways. Yet in those days I recall a few kids through those years getting hit by cars on the highways & even on the city streets, some of them did not survive, & some of them had injuries that bothered them all though life.

Back in 92 the wife & I went on a trip to norther Montana & back. I believe we come close to getting run over about 10 times, if I had not been riding defensively, we would not have made it home. My motorcycle riding days were from the early 70's to the early 2000's. After surgeries I had to stop motorcycling.

Today it would be even worse than in 92 because there's much more traffic, & much worse for a bicycle that is not running the same speed as cars & trucks on the roads.

Bicycle or motorcycle if we are involved in an accident its a no win situation.

54Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.