Poly trucking - Mechanics are Self Taught

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by IndianaF150, Apr 21, 2018.

1. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I was just told by a Poly mechanic that Poly Trucking mechanics are self-taught.

Anyone working for Poly America can get a job as a mechanic when notice of a mechanic vacancy is posted. No experience required. You could be a guard, a janitor, a secretary, anything and they’ll give you the job.

They start you in “the pit” doing oil changes. If you don’t screw anything up for a week or two, you can then become a diesel mechanic.

Once a diesel mechanic, they’ll tell you what to do and walk you through each procedure, but that’s it.

Because tools are so expensive, Snap-on salesmen come along and finance over-priced tools to take advantage of your poor financial situation.

Way-to-go Poly.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    That explains why so many trucks coming out of the shop haven’t been fixed and sometimes worse than when they went in.

94yj and austinmike Thank this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It truly amazes me that most fleets are not willing to fork over the extra coin to get quality guys to maintain their trucks. Every fleet ad I see for diesel mechanics are always way below current acceptable wages for a qualified individual. Always seems like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel and getting the cheapest guys they can find and then wonder why their trucks fall apart or, better yet grype about how expensive dealers are. If you payed some experienced mechanics what they were worth you could be paying half of dealer door rates or less for the same or better quality work. Plus get your truck on the road faster and making money.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Self trained is the way to go for mechanics. You start changing oil and slowly work your way up to tires, now a week and then ok you're a mechanic is a little fast. I have a couple uncles who are self taught truck mechanics they started working on the farm tractors who knows when. Overhauling engines is overhauling engines takes more natural abillity than school will ever teach you.

6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Once I got out of high school, I was self taught on everything I know. That's why you learn to read.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I'm a self-taught mechanic. What's the problem?

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ummmm, all mechanics are pretty much self taught. Not sure how it works in the US but up here its pretty much work your way up to a 1st year apprentice from washbay/labourer/janitor etc. Put 1500 hours in on the job, go to school for 8 weeks. Repeat 3 more times until ticketed. There's no hand holding going on during those 1500 hours either.

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Only mechanics who can command top rates are RED SEAL. Many companies employ "handy men" at lower wages. Better companies participate in apprenticeship programs.
    You get what you pay for. World of difference.

Goodysnap and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Plus the Red Seal is recognized Canada-wide. Many places in Europe and Australia recognize it as a valid credential as well. Alberta Industry Training has been heavy with audits lately. Threatning fines for businesses and individuals working in skilled trades without the proper credentials or improper ratio of apprentices to journeymen. First time ever in 9 years that I've been asked to produce my Red Seals lol.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    In the US, profit trumps all. Non-certified, untrained parts changers cost far, far less than actual, skilled mechanics. And if a major safety piece fails, oh well. That's what insurance is for.

Profit before people. The American way. Don't like it, get out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.