Poor MPG after replacing head

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Markovkus, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Markovkus

Markovkus Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    How is everybody doing here?
    Trying to figure out why my fuel mileage went down after replacing head on '09 Volvo D13, 820K, manual. The head was replaced 12K miles ago after I completely lost compression on 6th cyl, the exhaust valve seat was the reason. Along with new head did replace injectors, cups and wire harness. The cam and rockers were good.
    After the job was done I experienced a noticeable drop in MPG. Right before breakdown I had 7.2-7.4mpg pulling a 30.000 at 65mph. Now I can barely making 6 under same load, speed and terrain. Slight vibration appeared at low rpms when accelerating. Almost disappeares after driving few hundred miles. Truck pulls pretty much the same as before. MPG shown is both the same from ECM and my own pump to pump calculations ( did pay attention to night idling as well).
    Really frustrated because expected some gain in power plus AT LEAST SAME fuel consumption. Especially that compression test was good and truck is not using oil at all...
    May be poor adjustments? Or being paranoic and all that is winter time related?Any ideas?
    Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Zero Volvo experience but personally I'd have the valve lash checked for proper adjustment (if that's possible on Volvo engines?).

How's the boost? I'd check and see if maybe they forgot to tighten an intake clamp and you're losing a bit of boost?

4. Markovkus

Markovkus Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Boost is the same as before. Already pressure tested including intercooler

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Adjustable? Yes, but not in the sense most of us are used to. It requires changing shim thicknesses. A whole shim kit is expensive. But without it, you need to measure the clearance, and if it needs to be adjusted, measure the shim in it and use thicker thinner one to get it right. When I worked for a fleet that had Volvo's. We had a whole kit and ordered replacement shims to replenish the kit as we used them. Not very economical for 1 truck though, so most people just have a shop equipped to to them do it.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. Markovkus

Markovkus Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I remember the guys who did the work on head asked me to bring two shims 3.35 thick

7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Im watching this thread veeeeeery closely.... like this >.<

8. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    Give it 30k miles to break in

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.