Popping , grinding noise from transmission

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pavrom, Oct 16, 2018.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Dealer reported : need tranny replacement .
    Short story : yesterday driver called and reported via txt "It won't build up air so I can go I'm stuck in the middle of the street ima call tow truck " , I called tried to figure out where the problem is , compressor seems fine building pressure but as soon as governor cuts off and driver release either truck or trailer brakes pressure drops to 70 ( per driver)...driver couldn't do anything , got blocked on the bridge somewhere in downtown charlotte and wrecker arrived , tow truck called me and asked me if I wanna bring the truck to his shop for transmission repair , I politely refused smelling bs and ask him to bring the truck to peterbilt dealer 20 miles away , 2 hours later I got a call requesting to pay 2300 cash only ( I was in Chicago ) otherwise truck goes to impound , towing was working just shy of 2 hours ( flat top Pete with loaded stepdeck ) , asked the driver to play with the truck on the parking lot to figure out where is the air leak , apparently no leak but when he puts truck in gear - shifter jumping like crazy per driver . Today dealer inspected the truck and found 0 air leaks or issues but reported tranny issue : popping and grinding noise when in gear ( maybe when not in gear as well ) , they recommended replacing transmission , can't say what the problem is without removing it .
    Transmission been rebuild by very reputable shop locally in Chicago October 2017 and I personally drove the truck from October to April for about 60-70k miles and maybe 5-6 during summer months without any single issue , flaw or hiccup .
    Driver started to drive the truck 6 weeks ago and drove probably 12k miles , before truck was given to him everything was checked out perfect with all fluids good , no leaks or issues . Today driver refusing to admit that he reported air issue " When I say issues I mean no air leak It would build up but when i push in button it lose air but both of them are saying transmission " ( now the meaning - tow truck and dealer both said tranny issue ) .
    Not even sure what is right in this story , kinda have a feeling that driver messed up tranny ( before he drove 10 speed , mine is 13 ) , dealer estimated 8k plus so I'll be coming for the truck and bring it home for repairs ....just wanna hear thoughts and advices on this situation
    ...almost forgot : driver said no issues noticed lastly with tranny , even yesterday morning :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    2 years experienced rgn driver , 25 years old

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Does truck have a air assisted clutch .. also for it to lose air that fast I’d be looking at the brake pots.. PS truck will jumpand buck and make noise if brakes are stuck on due to low air

5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Dealer would figure ...no low air pressure or loss in air system
    Dealer said clearly : popping and grinding noise from tranny

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.