POS Carrier 7300 X4s keep shutting down after defrost.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by loose_leafs, Jun 25, 2017.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Every unit my company has bought since 2013 does this, doesn't matter what the outside temp or weather conditions.

Reefer will finish defrosting, it will run for about 5 minutes and not cool then will eventually shut off due to not maintaining temp. Only code it will show is "check refrigeration system." Eventually after that it will clear the code on its own, and it starts up and run fine.

It is NOT icing up, it will do this randomly no matter what the weather is like outside.

Carrier has no explanation for why their noisy rattle traps keep acting up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't understand how this can be an issue on multiple (every) trailer since 2013. How are you in business pulling refrigerated freight if you can't refrigerate?

Are the chutes going all the way to the back of the trailers and not torn or hanging down mid ways?

Are we talking empty trailer or loaded with what temperature product? (Are you trying to cool hot product?)

What does a "pre trip" action with empty trailer and closed doors do? Has to be throwing a code at some point.

Crushed front bulkhead or plastic pallet wrap sucked up into lower area in front bulkhead?

While running in cool mode, is good amount of air coming out of duct at back of trailer?

And the idea a reputable Carrier dealer is clueless and can't help just doesn't make sense either.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Trust me buddy, I've already tried everything you've mentioned. I'm not saying every unit that carrier produced, LOL we only have about 30 trailers in our Fleet.

Every time I pre-trip one it passes fine. Chutes are clear, hung correctly, nothing is blocking the front, no smash bulkheads in any of our trailers. If that were the problem it would be acting up constantly, not just after the defrost.

I think that something is randomly hanging up after it finishes defrosting.

It will shut down and display the orange fault light for maybe five or ten minutes, then it will simply start back up and clear the codes on its own.

Something is not opening or closing correctly causing it to eventually shut down. This is not something a pre-trip would catch anyway, since the unit doesn't defrost in pre-trip mode.

90% of the drivers at refrigerated companies are too stupid to actually watch or pay attention to their equipment anyway. I notice any time one of our units so much as hiccups the wrong way.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    But that's what I was getting at. One trailer? Okay. Something's wrong. A whole bunch of trailers all in the same fleet? Then it's a fleet problem.

Maybe somebody flashed them all with a bad "fleet policy program", having good intentions but with bad code. If that were the case, they'd all need to be reset (re-flashed) to default factory parameters and operational code.

These aren't by chance set up for remote monitoring and control are they?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    The Carrier dealer in Charlotte is awesome. If you call them and ask for Rodney, I'm sure he will give you an explanation as to what is happening.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. stupid driver

stupid driver Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2018

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.