Possessed Volvo 780 air compressor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    We just spent the day at the Salt Lake City Volvo dealer trying to get this diagnosed and fixed but to no avail. The issue is the compressor will kick on at seemingly random times while you are driving. If the air pressure gets down to 100 it will kick on and run it up to about 130 and stop which is normal and expected but it will also kick on off when the air pressure needle is above 120. On the trip down from Washington and it seems like the average time was every three minutes or so it would kick on for about 20 to 30 seconds. Why would the compressor come on when it is not needed? It does not do this while it is parked all me while it is rolling. Last night I drove the tech around the yard at the Volvo dealership and it kicked on three times in three minutes never once coming near 100 psi. The supposed master technician at Volvo says there is nothing wrong with the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    change the governor on the firewall and check the line from the compressor to the governor. a rub that leaks down in that line when moving is what it sounds like to me but a governor is cheap insurance.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  4. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It might also be an air dryer. Don’t worry, if you’re at Volvo they will probably replace it anyway $$$

5. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    Volvo had it for hours and never replaced it. They claim there’s nothing wrong. I also asked them about the excessive clutch slippage warning that it would give me on occasion and they looked into it and said that was a result of driver error and billed me for a half hour of their time to figure that out. $92 and tried to tell me I was driving with my foot on the throttle and the other on the brake. I don’t do that ever and why would I anyway?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If it’s ok, than maybe it is. Carry on. I’d rather take that than few $k worth of repairs.

7. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    If you are an O/O, stay away from Volvo dealerships as much as feasible.

Also, and I ask this sincerely: why are you concerned about the compressor working too much? I'm not being a smart arse. I just want to know what led you to take your truck to a dealership. Does the overactive compressor affect the air in the tanks in a negative/ dangerous way? If so, how?

I ask because I've never had compressor problems with my volvo. Lots of air leaks last winter that were chased down and fixed but no overactive compressor problems.
    Let me know what to look for.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  8. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    I’m worried it will wear out prematurely and strand me somewhere with a costly tow bill. A new compressor also costs about $3500. Do you know a better place to get work done if Volvo dealers are no good?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Is your volvo under warranty? If so, I understand your vigilance.

A better place than Volvo? Anywhere. Every schmuck company with twenty volvos or more has a break down and sends them to the dealer. Volvo dealerships are backed up and they charge full price/ no negotiation. There's no need for negotiation because they are backed up.

I google diesel truck repair for the area I need and start calling, when I need service outside of my home base. Even the bigger companies have wiggle room. Snider tire is kinda big in the southeast and I've found that they always move a bit on pricing. You just have to ask and have some reason(s) to ask for a lower rate.

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    My truck .. 2016 Volvo 780 XE has this EXACT same issue at random.... I have noticed with a fresh dessicant cartridge it does it far less ... Very strange.

The compressor will kick on and fill, even with 120+ psi still on the gauges. I suspect a air leak from the iShift line may be contributing .. will keep trying to find the cause ..

11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I've posted this before. Follow the steps in the attached PDF, and you'll find the problem.

Attached Files:

dirthaller Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.