Possession of drugs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by iceman32, Dec 3, 2016.

1. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I had a meeting with my boss and the rest of our small drivers. Apparently, 1 bad apple is in jail for possession of drugs and i think the second charge was improper lane change.

What is the penalty for 2 counts of drug posession? I know its an automatic arrest, what about jail time? Loss of cdl?

Mike2633 and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Possession-Controlled-Substance.htm

Fines start at 100 dollars and exceed 100,000.

Jail is 10 years and more.

And so on.

Remember this is a federal crime because trucking is federal.

DO not ever have a loose pill outside of the bottle in your car or truck, it's a arrestable offense. They don't know if it's candy or xanax or something else. Keep your medicines in the original bottle with the correct label. In fact your pills will be quickly counted on the scene to make sure you are on the correct dose tree for the month and not diverting any for sale or especially abusing and running out early. That is a indicator for criminal behavior as well.

I carry medicines 4 at a time in a day trip bottle with it's required label up to date at all times. That way I don't have 2000 dollars worth of medicines in a bulging pocket luring criminals to shoot me for it.

Lepton1 and iceman32 Thank this.
  4. iceman32

Sep 26, 2014
    So its automatically a felony if you have a cdl? From what I read, in most states its a misdemeanor.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's Federal.

Im not a lawyer. God help me I don't know sometimes which is why I dont have a CDL anymore for fear of being prosecuted for having medicine that is a controlles schedule drug in my car or truck. The Police have gotten epic warrior police breaking people left and right for everything under the sun. If they can bust someone and call it a felony, they consider it a very good day. Ugh.

6. iceman32

Sep 26, 2014
    Welp. The guy was arrested on the spot and put to jail. I declined the offer to go get his truck.

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Good call!

8. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Charge depends on scenario, the drug in question, and the judge.
    It's not instantly a felony by any means, unless they are charging him with distribution across state lines or he had a large quantity.
    Most states even the 2nd offense is still a class B misdemeanor, doesn't upgrade to a state jail felony until the 3rd strike. Being in a rig doesn't really change anything related to simple possession, but he will be absolutey screwed if they upgrade the charge to include transportation or distribution.

x1Heavy and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  9. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    What state?

10. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yep. Simple possession, he'll probably get probation at worst along with possible CDL revocation.

11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I'm just curious, does your company get a tax break for hiring midgets?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.