Possibility Of Full Time Hire

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by CenutryClass, Oct 9, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    UPS Package is hiring for a seasonal feeder driver and I'm tempted to apply. They pull nothing but doubles/ triples/rocky mountain doubles 99% of the time. So I was wondering what was the possibility of getting hired full time after the season is over. Any one get hired as a seasonal then full time after?

though I'm pretty sick of con way at the moment, I have a set run, ###### it maybe and a little seniority

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Ask the person doing the hiring. Many times the UPS and FEDEX seasonal positions are a stepping stone to obtaining full-time positions. When I was hired on with FEDEX for a seasonal position I was actually asked if I wanted seasonal or permanent. Due to other obligations I had to pass on the permanent gig. You might be surprised by how many applications they receive and how many are rejected. If you're on for the season you already have your foot in the door and if you're willing to relocate and tell them so at your time of hiring chances are good you can get a full-time job.

4. WideSkyND

WideSkyND Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Don't take it unless you are ready to be a post season package handler for 2-3yrs
    Those permanent full time big truck positions are reserved first for the panel van drivers to upgrade to.
    UPS offers this as part of their overall retention benefits,and its probably in the contract
    I nearly tried this several yrs ago also, until discovered dead end after Holiday rush
    +there is strictly no "guarantee" of pay or hours,pretty sure put on xtra board on call

5. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I just put in an app for a night feeder driver near me. I've talked to a handful of UPS drivers before and the general consensus was that smaller terminals very often hire off the street, especially for nights. Here's hoping...it hits a few of my plus points in my personal criteria list (Teamsters shop-I'm on withdrawal right now, home daily, night shift work, and best of all, DOUBLES!).

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    CC don't miss any work,late for work,ect ect.In other words prove to them you really want to get hired full time.Once the season work is over UPS still may keep you and in time you'll get uniforms and be full time.UPS is hard to get hired on full time but not impossible.I was hired as parttime seasonal for a hard place to get full time..But they still kept me and let everyoneese go because I didnt miss one day never late.never complained and many times go back to work before brk was over.Then a yr later I got my uniforms.What a happy day that was.

7. WideSkyND

WideSkyND Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Might be true on smaller town hiring, but if the demographics around area suggest otherwise/high unemployment..etc..Very likely not..but ups will have completed background on you for seasonal and its all the same requirements looks to be in that respect...I'd do the package handling part myself if starting over now..work way into the semi tractor....3-5 yrs for a lifetime of good wages+this company is still cash and carry..thought heard paid cash for overnight- 2 billion or something

8. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    This area is ridiculously hard to get/keep drivers in, mostly due to the Marcellus Shale oilfields right over the state line in PA. They pay a lot more than most other things involving a CDL here, so non-oilfield gigs here are absolutely starving for drivers. A few former coworkers of mine went to UPS a few years back, and off the street, were in uniform inside of 6 months.

WideSkyND Thanks this.
  9. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    I did that seasonal thing a few years back. Hired to run doubles and took it just to learn how to pull doubles, since I had the endorsement for years but really had no idea how to do it.

Found out after showing up my first day that what they really needed us for was to work as yard jockeys. Wasn't just me, as they did it to all of us, and there was never any intent for us to ever hit the road. During my time there, I never once had to opportunity to touch a double. Whole thing was a bait-and-switch as far as experience, how long I would be working, pay, hours, and pretty much everything I did. Worst thing for me was the whole attitude about how this job I was going to be laid off from in a few weeks was such a great opportunity for me, and I didn't know just how lucky I was to have a month as part of the whole UPS thing.

The one thing they were totally honest about was in that there was no chance I would be allowed to stay on in my position after the holiday, since my job was one that people worked several years to get the opportunity to do it full time. I was offered a job loading trailers for half the money I was making as a jockey, and they were dumbfounded when I turned it down.

10. DOTrevenuepatrol

DOTrevenuepatrol Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    To the OP, If you are in Denver you have a decent shot. Otherwise, probably not.

11. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    So here in Denver the seasonals have a shot at package feeder driver or is it more for ups freight? Cause I know union jobs like the whole work your way up from dock worker at ups is the only way. I know they post feeder jobs to the public cause they have to according to the rules but always goes in house.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.