possible stupid question ...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Seejay, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Seejay

Seejay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    I'm seriously considering moving from Florida, up north. I know that's bass-ackwards behavior; most people come here at my age, rather than the other way around, but frankly I've been here 20 years and I'm sick of sand and bugs and palm trees.

I want to be able to grow things in the dirt and see leaves change colors and meet people who are not "just here for the season" (whatever that is, because as close as I can tell, "season" never really ends.)

I'm tired of paying $4.39 for milk and $3.29 for gas, just for the privilege of living in a state that caters to rich people. Not to mention the fact that I'm recently divorced and could use a change of scenery.

The reason I'm here, is because you guys get around. You see things, and meet people. If you could live anywhere in the US north of, say,Tennessee, where would it be?

This process could take some time, and I may end up asking a sh*tload of questions, so only the hearty need reply.

So, where's a good place to live, in your opinions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

montana.....or if i was desperate wyoming

4. Seejay

Seejay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    Why is that? And I have considered both, but what appeals to you about them?

5. xr7conv

xr7conv Light Load Member

I have driven the lower 48 pretty good. There are several places that I like. Mostly I like mountains. North TN into OH is really nice area but it gets pretty cold. The NC mountains even the north west GA mountains have the seasons and some really nice weather but it doesn't get too cold.

I too like Montana. Idaho has some beautiful areas as well. But again winter is cold.

You won't find many place cheaper to live. It is unfortunate that the cost of living has gone up everywhere. Rural areas may have a bit cheaper housing but the choices are more limited. Then in those areas some of the staples of life - groceries/gas cost more because not as much is sold and transportation costs are higher.

Just really depends on the geography you want and how much winter...

6. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I dunno about this LOL. Here in Wis it's been below zero every day and snow every other. I was just in Sarasota last week and MAN those 80 degree temps were nice. Was nice to sleep at night with 60 degree temps and not run the truck.

But to answer your question, and assuming you arent looking get up here in the arctic, I would research Tenn, Ky, southern Mo, one of the carolinas. Still get stupid hot weather in summer, but not all the snow and cold. Even southern Ill is mild, but they are full of kommie laws so I'll not recomend that hole.

Also, whatever state ya opt for, move close to the interstate, assuming yer a driver. But ya probably already knew that.

If I had my choice, I'd opt for Montana or Wyoming as well. Less people and less kommie laws, both of which are of high importance to me.

My opinion on where NOT to move might serve you better LOL. Just ask..

7. Seejay

Seejay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    Well, you know, winter's all right. I have pretty thin blood at the moment, but I grew up in Central Texas and we had some fairly cold winters ... who am I kidding, I remember having to stand over the heater vent after walking to school in the morning to thaw out my eyeballs. It got pretty danged cold, we just didn't get much snow.

Unfortunately, real season changes and cold/snow/ice seem to pretty well so go together. I'm okay with that. I just really want to be able to make a decent living and not live week to week. I have two daughters who will be with me, both working ... we will have three salaries combined, not to mention a fairly decent income from writing ... you would think that would be enough, but it's not here.

I'm paying $1,100 a month for a 2-1 house, and granted, it's cute, but not that cute. The big thing is the people. People here have no decent reason to be nice to each other. You're either the one with the money who people are nice to in order to earn some of that money, or the person trying to earn the money that has to be nice in order to acheive that goal. (wry smile)

8. Seejay

Seejay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    379 ... I'm not a driver, although I've thought about it a few times. You were in Sarasota last week? that's crazy ... my daughter was in Wisc right after Christmas, she loved it.

9. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, a change of scenery is alway nice, hence yer daughter liking this crap we have up here, and me lovin those 80 degree temps y'all have last week. I just missed that mess on I-4 a few hours before it happened. I had my last drop just south of Bee ridge rd on 41, Greanleaf cheese. (check that place out if ya like REAL Wisconsin cheese - no affiliation on my part btw)

If friendly people rates high on your list, I'd still go with any of those mid states beween the deep south and great lakes. They just seem so layed back and generaly happy (outside any big metro area anyway)

Just my opinion. Good luck.

10. Big "A"

Big "A" Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2007
    White Bluff,Tn
    I haved lived in Tenn. all my life and and would not live any were else. It is a great place to call home. Great people ,those that are from here. U can get a nice home with a cup. of ac. From 600-800 a mo. The weather chages here like i change my underwear. It's diff. everyday. If u don't like the weather want till tomorrow. Allways get a wave and smile, away from the big city ofcouse. But it is good place to check into.

11. Seejay

Seejay Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    379 ... I'll check out that place, I love cheese ... most all of it. Seems weird to have you spouting off places like I-4 and Bee Ridge Rd. I was right in that exact area today at Brum Art Glass, right behind Rooms to Go, I know you have to have passed that place.

That "situation" on I-4 is fairly common, always something going on there, and on a good day, driving I-4 is like brushing your teeth with a razor blade. I don't even know what happened, I heard something mentioned on the news, but didn't really pay attention.

Big A ... Tennessee has been on the top of my list for some time. I'm just not sure the change would be dramatic enough. I'm done with hot summers, but I will miss the thunderstorms every day. Lightning and window-rattling thunder. I tried going back to Texas a couple of years ago and had one pissy little thunderstorm all summer. Blech.

I have another question for anyone who might know ... does it thunder when it snows? I mean, snow is just a rain storm at really cold temps, right? (grin)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.