Possibly buying my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lochness86, Nov 29, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    50k in the sticks is a lot of gas to go anywhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

You don't have to live in the sticks. Just not the biggest cities, which happen to have the highest cost of living, worse public schools, highest crime rates, and highest drug rates.

I live in the Sarasota area and as long as you aren't trying to live on the beach or in an exclusive gated community 50k a year goes far. Assuming you want 50k to go far. A city this size offers everything a big city like ny, la or Chicago does and the negatives are greatly reduced Obviously it's not exclusive to this city, most cities with an area wide population of 250k will have whatever you are looking for.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    snowwy Thanks this.
  4. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Hey Ridgeline, that bolded part caught my eye. Can you elaborate some on specific ideas? I’m all about investing in things like Centramatics etc.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Not @Ridgeline, but he is talking about the preventative maintenance schedule he has developed. I haven't had the guts to ask him to share it yet.....

In general it involves replacing things that are going to break, before they break. Belts, hoses, alternators are on the list. On the older ISX's, fuel pumps. Things that will strand you if they break, so they are cheaper to preventably replace on your terms, schedule and shop than out on the road in a strange shop under a load.

6. hannafarms

hannafarms Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If he is Otr that definitely bad however if local atleast in upper Midwest that’s about normal. If otr I wouldn’t except anything less than 70k

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.