Possum belly trailers and high wind warnings

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DolphinCove, Mar 27, 2023.

1. DolphinCove

DolphinCove Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2015
    San Diego
    It’s been a little while since I posted here… for the past almost 2 years now, I’ve worked for a company that pulls garbage and wood byproducts in possum belly trailers.

There are winter storm and wind warnings for my usual route (US 101 and US 199) tomorrow and Tuesday. Wind of 20+ mph, with gusts up to 50-60 mph. The wind is forecasted south and/or southeast, roughly the same direction that I’ll be driving in the mountain pass spots that I’m worried about.

I’m worried that, especially empty (I come back empty everyday) possum bellies are particularly dangerous in the wind? They have the rectangular “giant sail” shape. The walls are kinda flimsy, but have a more stable liner inside. The top is open, but I could roll the tarp over.

Maybe after 2 years, I should know this by now. But I don’t remember ever driving in wind like this, it’s really unusual for here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Don’t quote me but I think it’s 90mph gusts req to flip an empty semi. You should fair better than a dry van because you’re not 53’ and the belly part is down low where there’s less leverage. I spent more than a few days at 35mph sustained winds (don’t remember the gusts) and not one truck flipped.

4. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    On 281 where it crosses the Missouri River, the road is on top of a ridge most of the way across, before the dam, There is also a lower road most of the way across for windy times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.