Post changes at your company during these times…

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I figured we could start a thread where company drivers could post things that are changing because of the current environment. Gasoline prices touched $10 a gallon in parts of California around San Francisco. We’re definitely probably gonna see $8 to $9 dollars a gallon diesel prices here before the end of summer. There is just no way things are going to continue as usual.

do you think your company will be able to survive? Have you noticed strange or unusual things happening within your company to indicate they might be getting ready to close shop, sell out or go bankrupt?

at my company the following things have changed over the last 30 days.

1. no drop and hook loads. I used to run about 75 to 80% drop in hook with the company I currently work for. I may be get one load like that every two weeks now everything is live load, and live unload.

2. pay checks are off, miles often shorted. To the point I notice it immediately. If you’re like me, as the week progresses you have a pretty good idea within a few hundred dollars of what your paycheck is gonna be. I’m usually no more than $50 off my calculation. My last several paychecks I’ve had me calling into payroll to correct the errors of which they always say “will put it on next weeks.” And then they don’t.

3. The dispatching office areas at our yard was pretty much open doors to any and all drivers. Last week when I arrived there was a big sign that drivers are no longer allowed in the office areas. We were instructed to call. Definitely anticipating some disgruntled drivers.

4. During the weekdays typically that would be between 10 and 15 trucks at the yard. The last couple of weeks when I return during the week there’s been between 30 and 50 trucks. Indicating many drivers are quitting.

What are you noticing? Anyone been hit with a pay cut yet?

bzinger, 88228822, Coffey and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Time to start look elsewhere then. "Will put it on next week's check" tells you everything

4. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    And you're still in their truck?

The moment the pay was funky was the moment you should have started looking for a new gig. The moment the sign went up is the moment you should have cleaned the truck out and left.

What's different here? We just increased the sign-on bonus and are in discussions about installing a new washer/dryer in the driver's lounge at our terminal. LOL

WorldAtlas, 88228822, Coffey and 7 others Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Diesel is already bumping $10.00 gallon in some parts of California.
    $9 dollars and change. Was on the news a few minutes ago.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Someone I know that works in government here in Pennsyltucky told me that if gas or diesel hits $10 a gallon, the fuel stations will need to replace the fuel pumps because they can't handle four digits.

bzinger, Coffey and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Only thing I've noticed so far is I was asked to get fuel wherever I find it cheaper than our normal fueling location. They were always the cheapest, as we would get it at cost. Three weeks ago it was higher than the local Shell station down the road.

Since we all run daycabs, the boss asked us to shut the truck off when possible. No reason to idle other than when unloading.

8. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You better run for the hills.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    When gulf states intermodal started locking drivers out of the office, they put little mailboxes outside in the wall and gave you a key to your assigned box.
    That’s when the company personnel thought they were better than you and you couldn’t get them.....

Until one day, one disgruntled driver made the sign through the office window.
    EB46822C-59DF-48B5-850D-E673B5760FFF.gif

Then waited hidden in the office personnel parking lot.
    A lot was discovered that day.
    The little mouthy dispatcher thought he was billy bad ###.
    3DFA6914-E62D-4F99-B174-ACD2D73C358E.gif

Driver no longer works there...

10. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Business as usual at my company. We even still get the bonus pay for covid that we got all last year.

Everything you listed was a big red flag for a sinking ship. Go work for a company that is savvy enough to have a fuel surcharge in their contracts.

spindrift, bzinger, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  11. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Zero change in my yard jockey gig.

If anything it has gotten busier with people doing more online shopping.

They have started feeding us every Monday. Last week was tacos.

One thing I have noticed is more and more intermodal trailers in the yard. I might invest in ole jb hunt. They seem busy.

I also detest moving those trailers with a passion. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.