Potential mechanical issue...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedRover, May 25, 2017.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Been having an issue with the truck, wonder if any who are mechanically inclined may have some inclination...

When I have the cruise set and I need that extra little bit of horse power to pass someone or I am trying to coast down a hill to conserve fuel(and not have the engine brake engage) my truck starts doing this violent shuddering. It feels like a car when it is running out of gas. I keep the digital fuel economy gauge on at all times because I'm really trying to get better at managing fuel and expenses while keeping track of what types of loads, terrain and driving style is most economical.

When this shuddering takes place, the fuel usage gauge will go from full(meaning I'm getting vastly better than average fuel consumption) to half and back up to full, shudder half, shudder full...

Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone. It's a 2016 t680 if that helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Are we talking about an automatic transmission perhaps being operated in manual mode?

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are lugging below torque shes gonna shake and buck.

You are already downgrade and that jacobs braking is in your favor. Use the dam thing. It's nothing but a certain amount of gallons per hour. You already threw down 30 plus gallons hourly getting up and now you are stressing about fuel mileage getting down? It's a downgrade. Free foward motion. That jacobs is to keep everyone safe. Use it. Don't ride your brakes and cook them, if you really need them they might not be there at all.

I think someone has whipped you over the head too much on fuel mileage. Come off it. You are in mountains for crying out loud. This is not the place to get fuel mileage. Your jacobs brake is plenty good.

As far as transmission, you probably are in manual mode. trying to get the engine to turn over very slowly. That is not what engines are made to do. Get between torque and high horse on your RPM chart for that engine and keep it in the sweet spot. She will run much better and everything will be stable.

A bucking tractor is very angry with you. You are not doing something right. Let's see what we can do to smooth things over again shall we?

BigTennOTR and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  5. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    It's a 10 speed manual. Not so much a mountain, more like a steep hill. I don't want to be out of control so much as rolling a lot quicker than my governed speed for a moment or two. It's the difference in the case of yesterday, of climbing the other side of a 3% grade in 6th gear with 45k in the box.

6. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    If you're climbing and stuttering you're lugging your rpm

Where is your rpm when this happens?

7. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
  8. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    1500-1600. I'm doing 68 with the cruise set. When I hit a downward slope, my engine brake will kick in at 72, but I'm looking more for 75 or so. So I press the accelerator to prevent the engine brake from coming on and it does this shudder, like its fighting with itself. Other people with the same exact model have zero issue doing the same thing, in my unofficial polling lol

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't do that with the accelerator, turn the engine brakes off or take yourself off of cruise.

The shudder is the engine brakes turning on and off, with the ecm trying to fuel the cylinders at the same time, in a matter of milliseconds. It isn't good on the engine nor the drive train.

Geeze learn how to drive the truck right.

Diesel Dave and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You say you are looking for more like 75 or so?

You basically are saying you are being impatient with the speed and want gravity to take you up to 80 or whatever. if this is the state your rig is in, I am with Ridgeline on this, your engine is starved of everything. No fuel, no oil moving no nothing. And then you want more? No wonder your rig is fighting to do something.

You can do so much damage to a engine with no fuel pump output a jake that steals oil and trying to run outside of your company set limits of cruise and so on using gravity to force it.

My suggestion is simple. Set up your cruise for 65, accept that you wont do well at 68 or 72 or beyond. Back it down a little bit and allow that poor truck to at least run. You will know she is running well when there is no fighting back at you. Leave it that speed. You will get there eventually. You can only get there when you get there. It becomes more of a problem if you are being stressed and running late with dispatchers whipping you and filling your QC with call me messages... Make a new appt for delivery. Otherwise suffer a service failure or two until you are fired.

I hate to see a truck abused by gravity to run at 75 when there is nothing moving or flowing into the engine to do anything at that speed.

11. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    I'm usually doing 68. At what point is it detrimental to mpg regarding speed. Is it really that much of a diff between 65 and 68? I struggle on hills with this Columbia

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.