Power Only - South Florda

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Crossbones, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    Anyone got any info on where I can find local power-only loads and what above bobtail insurance will be necessary? New O/O with DOT number and looking for ways to start small. (Not enough "verifiable" experience to lease to a carrier just yet. Long story)

Thanks in advance as always.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    We did power only for Interstate Distributor out of Tacoma Washington and loved it . But ,,, you said south florida ... talk about a dead freight zone regardless of how you do it south Florida is hella dead. Jb Hunt is dying for capacity coverage out of there Atlanta intermodal operation and yes that includes power only. You will be in north Florida but never go further south than about 50 miles from the Georgia border. Just out of curiosity how much $ are you paying for your insurance per power unit ? Or your truck if your a 1 truck owner op ?

KB3MMX and 7seriestv Thank this.
  4. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC

5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Oh wow , so that is only coverage for the loss of the truck then it sounds like ? Not even the right to pic and deliver freight ? Ya big money fo sho .... i have a buddy that handles Georgia and he does dip into Florida i will ask him about florida for you if you would like ? Send me a pm with ur info or i will send you a pm with mine whatever , im not to good at technology so .....

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You are looking for something that no longer exists, and that's a trip lease. To haul other people's freight you need to be a motor carrier or leased to a motor carrier. Before deregulation you could trip lease, but now the motor carrier needs pre-employment drug testing and a driver file for every driver who drives under their authority.

Expeditor and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    No money to be made in south Fla. Thats been my experience. I live in Fla and I wont dip below I4 with out being compensate enough to dead head back home or back into Ga.

Hurst

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    And leasing myself out with a "new" CDL isn't an easy thing to find I'm sure.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    Moving up towards Jacksonville is a definite option we are considering.

KB3MMX and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Location helps,. especially if you are looking for local work.

Not trying to knock your ambitions,.. but Fla in general is a cheap state for trucking. Your competing with retired O/O's who are willing to operate at 25 - 30yr old rates for as long as their equipment will last. Then sell whats left on Craigslist. The other half are the immigrant operators who are all competing with each other and also operating for the cheapest rates possible,.. also with equipment thats barely legal and some not so legal to be on the road. Thats Fla in a nutshell.

Your other issue is you have a new CDL,.. thats an insurance nightmare. Not saying it cant be done,.. but you have an up hill battle. Personally I would have went to work for someone else for a few years and packed as much cash away as possible. Then try to set up some some local or regional work and then buy what ever equipment was needed for that type of work.

Good luck.

Hurst

11. BMac-

BMac- Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Florida
    I also live in south Florida and am planning on getting a truck and going solo. Been watching the loads on DAT for a couple months. There’s no money in power only and dry van doesn’t pay much. You can do ok with refer but not on the outbound or local side. Have to go out a few days and bring the money in. Flatbed on the other hand seems to be decent. I’m expecting to gross around $800 a day on average between south GA and Miami. May be tough to get into with a new license due to insurance tho. I was quoted $1800 mo through progressive for running under my own authority.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.