Power Steering Bleed 17 IHC 7600

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ojavery, Sep 14, 2018.

1. ojavery

ojavery Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi !! I have a 17 IHC 7600 with a N13 engine. I replaced the 2 steel lines going to the power steering pump. I can't seem to get it to bleed out though. I've worked the steering hard but it wont completely smooth out. After I turn it off I go to take the cap off and there's a lot of pressure (air and oil)
    Thanks!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Not an IH guy but try this.

Jack it up and take the load off the wheels. Leave the truck off and the resevoir cap off. Turn lock to lock slowly and watch for air to purge. Once no more air is present try running with no load lock to lock until no more air is present. Then set it back down and try again.

Often with the system capped and the pump agitating the fluid and air it will remain trapped in the system.

HTH

ojavery and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    @Heavyd knows these trucks well.

ojavery and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The power steering can get an air lock in it in the pressure line that loops up and over the frame rail from the pump at the union fitting between the two line sections near the gear itself. Crack the fitting loose at the union without the engine running and it should gravity bleed itself. I'll post a picture, its a Prostar, but the 7600's are very similar.

MF13.jpg

ojavery Thanks this.
  6. ojavery

ojavery Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks so much @Goodysnap and @Heavyd , I did what heavyd said first, it was better, but still had some air, so I let it sit and then did what Goodysnap said, then test drove in parking lot, much better. Pump still has a moan to it and there's a spot where the steering is a little heavy. Will that work its self out or should I keep working the 2 procedures? I'm going to take a longer test drive soon to see if it changes anymore. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!!

Heavyd and Goodysnap Thank this.
  7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Watch the fluid in the resevoir while running if you can see it. Should be clear. If air is still present it will be cloudy or foamy looking. If it still has hard spots, repeat the process. Not good to run it with air in it.

ojavery Thanks this.
  8. ojavery

ojavery Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Ok, was clear, so I took it on a 30 mile drive, came back popped hood , reservoir was still clear and took the fill cap off and no pressure. I think I'm good. Thanks!!

Heavyd and Goodysnap Thank this.
  9. ojavery

ojavery Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2018
    So I parked truck in the shop Saturday when I finished and figured I'd go through the bleed procedure one more time Monday when I came in. Well I didn't make it in Monday so I left instructions with a co worker. He ended up having to bleed out the steer boxes . Evidently me running it Saturday and getting it warm allowed it to function well. Then after sitting the air that was still in there locked it up pretty good. He went to steerbox manuf site and found info there. Thanks again for your help.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.