Powering CB in 2019 Cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Moondawg1964, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    My Galaxy 959 is also too big for factory mount. I have it mounted between the sun visors. It did require several holes drilled out, so I don't recommend a driver do this unless it's their own truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    That body/interior has vent holes uptop you should have used instead....I actually made a bracket that used those vent holes to mount my radio to..No drilling needed..Wished i had taken a few pics..Big enough to house my radio and an ext speaker..

4. Scoot 1971

Nov 22, 2018
    Unfortunately the vent holes, interior, are in line with sun visors. Mounting there would not allow any use of the visors. The cb shop ran coax thru vent on back of cab. I honestly do not know where the routing is beyond that. Every time I go looking, the wife tells me to leave well enough alone, so I do.

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    With ant on the back of the cab you loose soo much..Unless your in a mid roof that pulls a flat bed i would mount an ant to mirror arm..

6. Scoot 1971

Nov 22, 2018
    You're right about that I know, I just never liked the looks of the bird perch mirror mounts on the Cascadias. I know it's just a preference thing for me, but then I happen to think mine is the prettiest Cascadia out here lol.
    But, I will say my tuned Galaxy has been good for 30-40 miles out and I get comments on quality of my transmission. I also realize I could do better with mirror mount but I am very happy with current performance. Also, my truck is full height condo sleeper and I pull reefer.

7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    30-40 mi with it back there..Dang,you must be pushin power..
    I tried a bird perch on a volvo i had yrs ago..Didnt like it...Changed it up and got better results..
    On the cascadias there is a bird perch but again i dont likem so i bought what i thought was somethin better,it wasnt..Then finally i used the 2 bolt mirror arm style,much more secure that the perch..You still see the wilson brand at pilot flyin j..Huge diff..
    When i tried a 10k and a 5ft firestick back there i got toooo much reflect to keep it there...
    I just run a 955 stryker barefoot and get about the same range as you,depending on conditions ofcoarse..

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. Scoot 1971

Nov 22, 2018
    It's literally just a Flamethrower tuned Galaxy I bought from some guys in Cali about 6 years ago. Saw them on internet and called, talked to one of the techs for about 15 minutes and then spent about $450 ,(shipped to house), on this thing. I leterally knew nothing about radios and still don't. Put it in a 12' Cascadia and got decent performance. Until very recently, this radio was stored at top of closet at house for about 4 years. I finally decided to use it again in current truck as we just paid it off, (truck, not radio). It did not give near this performance in that 12' truck as it now does in our 17' with this set up.

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I dont know squat anout radios,im more of an jr ant man..Some of it seems to interest me more than the radio itself...
    I did how ever do a quick search on the flame thrower and results were not anything positive BUT if your gettin 30+ mi and its clear then maybe your lucky....
    One of these days do a video gate on it or record someone you talk to..Love to hear it..Assumeing you have someone who can record you...
    Before i took my 447hpc 2 stryker out of my pick up i would set up my digital recorder(audio only) and drive out 10 or so miles just to hear what others could hear..Then i would come back and switch out the recorder and drive out in my big trk while leaveing recorder in my pick up and tx on my 955 in my cascadia..
    Many out there will tell you your radio sounds good when it really doesnt...
    I listened to a audio recording of a bone stock 955 outta the box and no mre than conversion blow the doors off a $1000 radio that a shop down south tweeked..

Gotta love youtube for that stuff lol..
    Well like they say "If it aint broke,dont fix it"!!

10. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    DA0A0EE4-7E7B-44EE-AD71-D7993EC0869C.jpeg BC833D88-56F4-42D0-84F7-855AE25D9143.jpeg CLAYS CB SHOP

Custom-made medium & heavy-Duty stainless steel new model Cascadia mirror antenna mounts.

Robert used the PC mount l left him to get these made locally. I grabbed a pair of examples off of shelf to make this pic. Comes complete with fasteners.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    5DCB50EC-B2C2-4E16-9BDA-1832DEB21406.jpeg Some of the last HD Predator antenna studs are still available

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.